Areas of Expertise
Online and distance learning with an emphasis on the design and facilitation of highly-engaging learning experiences, the potential of mobile technologies for transformative learning, technology integration in adult and higher education contexts
I have a very personal appreciation for the empowering potential of education and am interested in leveraging learning technologies, especially online learning affordances and mobile technologies, to improve access to education and learning opportunities. I focus on adult learning and higher education contexts and my approach to curriculum development and instructional design is motivated by social constructivist and phenomenological philosophies. My efforts are directed toward establishing and facilitating democratic learning environments and promoting transformative learning experiences.
My research explores the human experience of various learning technologies, including mobile affordances and online learning environments. I am interested in examining pedagogical design strategies and contextual dynamics that affect the experience of learners as they are immersed in virtual spaces or while utilizing mobile technologies. More specifically, my current work explores how principles of design focused on interaction, collaboration, and social presence can lead to increased levels of engagement and heightened, compelling learning experiences.
Courses I Teach
- CI 1942 Social Media and the Changing Nature of Interaction
- CI 2311W Introduction to Technology and Ethics in Society
- CI 4311W Technology and Ethics in Society
- CI 2312 Sex, Drugs, & the Internet: Educational Perspectives
- CI 4312 Sex, Drugs, & the Internet: Educational Perspectives
- CI 5321 Foundations of Distance Education
- CI 5323 Online Learning Communities
- CI 5325 Designing and Developing Online Distance Learning
- CI 8350 Readings and Research in Learning Technologies