The University of Minnesota Child Development Center is a model demonstration and training site for early development with research opportunities to further the knowledge of early development, education, and quality care for young children. We provide a “fee-for-service” childcare and child development program for University of Minnesota affiliated staff, faculty, and students. Our center cares for 140 children, ages 3 months to 5 ½ years old.
Perks of UMCDC
- Area Coordinators/teacher supervisors are educated in Early Development, birth to 8 years, or in Child Psychology. Additionally, most hold MN teaching licenses.
- Our "emergent curriculum" provides a framework for developmental experiences, enabling young children to explore, problem solve, and investigate. It's also responsive to children's interests and needs.
- Our program has commendations regarding its NAEYC accreditation and works in collaboration with other University units, such as the Center for Early Education and Development (CEED), the Shirley G. Moore Lab School, entities of ICD.
- UMCDC offers University practicum, field studies, and observations for University of Minnesota students.
- Nature experiences occur in the foyer, courtyard, outdoor off-the- street play yards, and classroom experiences with STEM activities.
- Other spaces at the Center are a flex room, multi-purpose room, mudrooms, atrium, and a University research suite. These are auxiliary spaces devised for shared use.
- The UMCDC physical environment is comfortable, incorporating natural elements and it is designed to be sensory rich and engaging to children.
- The community at UMCDC is exceedingly diverse. Students, children, and faculty from all over the world are enrolled.
- Good class ratios, child to teacher, and caring teaching staff who are well educated in early development.
Location + Hours
Our address and hours of operation are listed here.
Have questions about our waiting list? We have answers!
Don't delay, apply today.
Pay Invoices Online
Looking to save some time? Try paying your invoices online. You just need your customer number and current invoice number to make a deposit.
Make a payment
We'd love to hear from you!