University of Minnesota
Driven to Discover

CEHD Wordmark - Print Version

Educational Psychology
250 Education Sciences Bldg
56 East River Road
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Voice: 612-624-6083

Special Education
250 Education Sciences Bldg
56 East River Road
Minneapolis, MN
55455-0364 USA

Tel: 612-626-0367
Fax: 612-624-8241

Special education: Learning disabilities

Frequently asked questions

1. What tests must I take?

**On September 1, 2010, the Minnesota Board of Teaching will launch a new generation of licensure tests.  The new testing program is called the MINNESOTA TEACHER LICENSURE EXAMINATIONS (MTLE). Registration for these tests begins July 1st, 2010.**

2. What can I do with my master's degree after graduation?

The majority of graduates become professional teachers. Some graduates have pursued advanced degrees in a variety of fields such as school administration or university teaching. Some graduates have combined their undergraduate majors and their graduate studies to work in fields such as vocational rehabilitation, school psychology, counseling, and educational administration.

Job postings can be found at GoldPASS, LandIt!,, and through other sites listed at Exploratory, Transition, and Career Services. Career information for special education teachers in Minnesota is available from ISEEK.

3. Are there certain places in the United States where there are more jobs than others?

There is a consistent and growing demand for teachers of special education students, particularly in rural areas of the country. See the occupational outlook for special education teachers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics for more information.

4. Will my Minnesota teaching license be accepted in other states?

A Minnesota teaching license is accepted in most states across the country. However, some states may require a specific course or test that is not common to the State of Minnesota. The University of Minnesota program is approved by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, and the Minnesota Board of Teaching.

5. Where will most of my classes be located?

While there is no guarantee, the majority of your classes will be on the East bank of the Twin Cities campus.

6. If I do not have a regular education teaching license, how do I apply for practicum?

Two semesters of practicum experience are required of all students enrolled in the teacher licensure exemption program. Contact Mary Beth Kelley for placement and then register for one credit of practicum each semester (EPSY 5701).

7. How do I apply for student teaching?

All coursework in the area your specialty area (ld, dd, ebd) must be completed prior to student teaching. Download a copy of the application materials from the student teaching/practicum page. Deadlines are March for fall and summer semester placements, and October for spring semester placement. Contact the Special Education Office (612-626-0367) for specific dates. You may wish to discuss your placement preferences with Mary Beth Kelley.

Clinical Experience Handbook (student teaching handbook)

8. How do I apply for my teaching license?




9. Can I be admitted to more than one program (e.g. developmental disabilities and emotional & behavioral disorders)?

A student can only be admitted to one program area, but upon completion may apply for additional licensure in another program area.

10. How long will it take to complete the M.Ed.?

Students entering the program with a general education teaching license can complete the program within a 12-month period, as full time students. Students who do not have a teaching license generally complete the program in 24-28 months.

11. Do I need to finish my M.Ed. paper before I can get my teaching license?

No, the M.Ed. paper is not a requirement for licensure, but it is a requirement for the M.Ed. degree. The M.Ed. paper is designed to demonstrate your ability to synthesize and analyze information. The paper may be in the form of a project, a mini research paper, a review of the literature, or an issue paper. The topic should be selected with your advisor. Many of the students complete the paper after they have entered the teaching profession. Development of a professional teaching portfolio is also required. The M.Ed. paper or project can be incorporated into the portfolio.

 12. What can I do if I do not have access to a computer?

University computer labs are located throughout the campus. Computer labs are located in the residence halls and at other sites on the East Bank campus. If you have questions regarding computer lab hours or locations, please contact University Information at 612-625-5000 for assistance. Computers are also available in 227 Burton Hall for special education students.

If you are having trouble with your computer or have specific questions, you may call the University Computer Helpline at 612-301-4357 (1-HELP) or

13. Are TTYs (TDDs) available on campus?

Yes, TTYs are available for student use at Disability Services, University Gateway, Suite 180, 612-626-1333 weekdays until 4:30p.m

University departments with TTY/TDD telephones

American Sign Language Department.

Boynton Health Service

Communication Disorders

Disability Services-General Line

Disability Services-Interpreters

Networking and Telecommunication

University locations of public TTY/TDD pay telephones

East Bank
Centennial Hall
main floor, east wing

Northrop Auditorium
first floor mall entry, southeast corner

Phillips-Wangensteen Building
main entry off of Delaware

Roy Wilkins Hall
first floor lobby

Williams Arena
east end, main lobby

West Bank
Blegan Hall
ground floor, north entry

Carlson School of Management
lower level, northwest corner

Middlebrook Hall
main floor vending machine area

Ted Mann Concert hall
main floor lobby

Wilson Library
main floor, east entry lobby

St. Paul
St. Paul Student Center
lower level, near information booth

14. How do I access interpreting services?

Sign language; C-Print, and oral interpreters are available through Disability Services at 612-626-1333.

15. What are U Cards-University of Minnesota Student ID and where can I get one?

The University of Minnesota’s student photo identification card is called the U Card. The U Card is needed to check out library materials, cash checks, and gain access to residence hall dining rooms, the recreation center, golf course, secured buildings, computer labs and more. You can then make purchases from vending machines and also make copies at reduced cost. Your first U Card is free of charge. For complete information on the U Card and its services, visit the U card website.

© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Revised November 27, 2013