Welcome to the Department of Family Social Science
The Department of Family Social Science provides outstanding undergraduate, master's, and doctoral level education dealing with all aspects of family life in the U.S. and around the world, with the full range of factors affecting families, with family therapy, and family education.
The department is considered the premier family department in the United States. Departmental faculty are leaders in family research, family theory, family therapy, family education, and consultation on family issues.
Our mission is to enhance the well-being of diverse families in a changing world through teaching, research, and outreach.
Family Social Science is an international leader in:
- Undergraduate, graduate, and extension education
- Discovery and application of new knowledge
- Innovative engagement with communities
- January 30
FROM REFUGEE TO CITIZEN: The Hmong Journey from Rural History to Urban Experience
- February 20
U of M Job and Internship Fair
- February 27
BEYOND MYTH-MAKING AND APPROPRIATION: African Americans in Theater and Film
- April 1
CEHD Youth and Family Services Career Fair
- April 13
MN Education Job Fair
- Doherty on dealing with holiday doldrums via Wall Street Journal
- Piehler awarded Grant-in-Aid
- FSoS Graduate Students Featured Across the Nation
- Doherty’s advice on giving relationship advice featured in Elle
- Wieling: Improving mental health for families affected by war trauma