2017-19 Cohort Information
Over 400 principals and school leaders have completed the academy to date. Current cohorts are running in Thief River Falls and the Twin Cities with two new cohorts slated to begin in the fall of 2017; one will be in the Twin Cities and one in the Brainerd area to serve principals in greater Minnesota.
Brainerd Area Selected as Regional Cohort
We are excited to announce that following strong interest in hosting the next regional cohort of the Minnesota Principals Academy that Region 5 in central Minnesota has been selected. The Brainerd Public schools in partnership with NJPA will serve as host for the cohort. While there are already 30 confirmed participants from nine school districts, there are a few remaining spots for those in the region who may be interested in participating. Please contact Dr. Pekel at email@example.com to learn how you can apply for this regional cohort.
Twin Cities Cohort
2017-19 Twin Cities Cohort Application
Deadline: March 30, 2017
The next Twin Cities cohort is set to begin early fall of 2017. Individual participant applications are now being accepted through March 30th. In partnership with MASSP and MESPA, the Twin Cities Academy will be held at the TIES Conference Center at 1667 Snelling Ave, St Paul, MN. The Twin Cities cohort will accept 35 participants.
- Leadership responsibility for an entire school or program (principal, assistant principal, special education director, etc.)
- If assistant principal, exercised responsibility for instructional programming (beyond student discipline)
- An interest in improving as an instructional leader and improving academic outcomes for students
- A commitment to leading a Minnesota school/program for at least 3 more years
- Minnesota Principals Academy Application [PDF] – signed by superintendent or Charter School Board Chair
- Professional vita/resume including licensure areas, places and years of employment, professional activities and awards.
- The cost of the program is $7000/participant. Currently the cost is in part covered for public school leaders through legislative funding appropriated to MDE. The grant from MDE covers $3500 of the cost.
- The remaining $3500 can be paid over two fiscal years, leaving the district responsible for $1750 per year. *See note below for special funding for Charter School Leaders
- Applications should be submitted via email to Dr. Pekel (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the University of Minnesota.
- Application deadline is March 30, 2017.
- Applicants will be notified by April 30 regarding decisions.
Charter School Leaders – Special Funding
As a result of special one-time funding from the Legislative Coordinating Commission, Charter School leaders are able to attend the Academy for a reduced rate. With this funding, we are able to offer the Minnesota Principals Academy at a cost of $1000, or $500/year to 15 charter school leaders. This special funding applies to charter school leaders in either cohort.
Revised January 18, 2017