Graduate Research Assistant
STEM Education Center
1954 Buford Avenue
PhD Student (Curriculum and Instruction, minor in QME), University of Minnesota, present
MEd (Curriculum and Instruction), University of Minnesota 2006
Math and Science Matters in Urban Education Scholarship
GLBT Programs Scholarship
BS Biology (EEC), University of Texas, 2001
Dean’s Scholars Science Honors Program
Plan II Liberal Arts Honors Program, Plan II Presidential Scholarship
Professional Science and Teaching Experience:
University of Minnesota. Minneapolis, MN. 8/09 – present
- Taught fully on-line reform based induction course (CI 5539) for first through third year practicing science teachers
Graduate Research Assistant
- BrainU. Analyze data for program evaluation and research.
Student Teacher Supervisor
- Supervised student teachers enrolled in the MEd science instruction program in middle and high school classrooms.
AFSA High Shcool. Vadnais Heights, MN. 7/07 – 06/09
- Taught biology, physics, biotechnology, and food microbiology.
- Improved student scores on the MCA - II Science assessment.
- Supervised student teacher from the University of MN in the MEd Science instruction program.
- Coordinated AFSAs Science Fair including the development of materials and forms and recruitment and training of judges
- Supervised after school detention program according to restorative and school principals.
- Coached students to the State (50) and National FFA Science Fair (5).
- Advised students regarding academic, personal, and career goals.
- Facilitated two week long off-site learning opportunities, St. Croix State Park and Montana.
- Supervised elective seminar on life-long fitness.
Sobriety High School, North Summit Academy. Maplewood, MN. 8/05 - 7/07
- Taught all science classes at the school (biology, wilderness biology, environmental science, reproductive biology, climate change, animal behavior science, inquiry science, and physics).
- Advised 25 students regarding academic, personal, and career goals.
- Provided administrative and clerical support.
- Maintained school computers as site technology specialist.
- Coordinated fund raising events for school wide purposes.
- Supervised volleyball, basketball, and boundary waters canoeing.
University of Minnesota, College of Liberal Arts, Research, and Development. Minneapolis, MN. 8/03 - 5/05
- Prepared monthly newsletters for the research and development office.
- Reviewed requests for proposals from granting organizations throughout the world.
- Assisted in the procurement of grant funding for College endeavors.
Minneapolis Public Schools. Minneapolis, MN.
Reserve Teacher. 8/03 - 8/05
- Delivered lesson plans at the high school and junior high level.
9th Grade Science Teacher. 8/02 - 7/03
- Prepared thematic environmental education curriculum that met the Minneapolis Public Schools requirements for 9th grade science.
- Coordinated professional development process.
- Advised 20 students regarding academic, personal, and career goals.
Minneapolis Public Libraries, Homework Helper Program. Minneapolis, MN. 10/02 - 11/03
- Tutored reading, writing, foreign language, math, science, and social studies at local libraries.
- Assisted students with test preparation.
- Guided students in career explorations.
University of Minnesota, Dept. of Pedatrics. Minneapolis, MN. 7/01 - 8/02
- Coordinated NIH funded training and research grants.
- Prepared and wrote grants for submission to national, state, and private granting organizations.
- Provided primary technical support services for the division.
- Monitored progress of a multi-center research study.
- Coordinated fund raising endeavors for the department.
The University of Minnesota, Department of Entomology. St. Paul, MN. 4/01 - 12/01
- Organized and prepared data from secondary sources to analyze.
- Coordinated data into GIS system for spatial analysis.
- Visited swine farms to assess the cause of an epidermal anomaly.
- Educated stakeholders regarding the role of scientific research in applied problems.
TNRCC, OEAA, Strategic Environmental Analysis. Austin, TX. 5/00 - 8/00 (Internship)
- Developed a GIS training manual for use in the division.
- Taught basic GIS principals to members of the division.
- Prepared maps for use in agency reports and legislative matters.
PODER, Natural Resource Management. Austin, TX. 1/00 - 5/00 (Course Project)
- Met with stakeholders and community members to assess research needs.
- Collected data from state holdings to execute research.
- Utilized GIS software to evaluate the progress of a tank farm clean-up in east Austin.
University of Texas, Research Experience. Austin, TX. 1/99 - 5/99 (Volunteer)
- Maintained and monitored dung beetles in studies to develop rapid breeding methods.
Austin Parks and Recreation, Splash! Exhibit. Austin, TX. 8/98 - 12/98 (Internship)
- Built educational science exhibits for a public audience.
- Lead public educational tours of the exhibits.
Texas Tech University. Clark Scholars Program. Lubbock, TX. 6/96 - 8/96 (Internship)
- Executed TolC plasmid research in the medical school research facility.
- Prepared microbiological and molecular biological research materials.
- Presented data findings to researchers in the department.
Sobriety High School, School Board, Faculty Representative
AFSA High School, School Board,Financial Committee
Teacher Education Redesign Initiative,University of Minnesota
Teacher Performance Assessment, Minnesota State Board of Teaching
Advisory Panel, Minnesota Department of Education Division of Research and Assessment
Molecular Biology,Coordinating Teacher, University of Minnesota
Genome Science for Health, Master Teacher, University of Utah
WET/WILD/PLT, Workshop Facilitator
State Fair Judge, MN 4H
American Educational Research Association
Association for Science Teacher Education
National Association for Research in Science Teaching
National Science Teacher Association
CANDO Neighborhood Association
8th International Conference on Bisexuality, Co-chair
Bisexual Organizing Project, BECAUSE 2003 Annu
Hoelscher, M. (2012, January). A culturally relevant case study alternative for developing science teachers. International Meeting for Association of Science Teacher Education. Clearwater Beach, FL.
Hoelscher, M. (2012, January). An argument for training teachers to interrupt heteronormativity in life science. International Meeting for Association of Science Teacher Education. Clearwater Beach, FL.