Steps Towards Effective Enjoyable Parenting™ (STEEP) and Seeing is Believing® (SIB) Trainings
This three-day training is for professionals from social work, health care and mental health who are interested in learning more about how to work with parents and very young children. The training is broken into an initial two-day program and a one-day follow-up consultation that is scheduled to take place approximately one month after the initial training. If an organization wishes to fully implement STEEP™ within their program and to use the STEEP™ name, we require ongoing consultation, via email, telephone, and in person 1-2 times per year.
Our trainers are also available to conduct one-day and half-day workshops on the STEEP™ and Seeing Is Believing® models.
Developed in 1986 by Drs. Byron Egeland and Martha Farrell Erickson, STEEP™ reaches out to parents even before their first child is born. STEEP™ works on the premise that a secure attachment between parent and infant establishes ongoing patterns of healthy interaction. A secure parent-child attachment lays the foundation for later competence and well-being.
Through home visits and group sessions, STEEP™ facilitators work alongside parents to help them understand their child’s development. Parents learn to respond sensitively and predictably to their child’s needs, and to make decisions that ensure a safe and supportive environment for the whole family.
- Making relationship-based practice real, from participant recruitment to program termination;
- Using videotaping and guided viewing (Seeing Is Believing®) to promote parental understanding, sensitivity, and responsiveness;
- Planning and leading parent-infant groups;
- Challenging and supporting parents to reflect on their own relationship history and how it influences their attitudes, feelings and parenting behavior;
- Using an ecological approach to help parents reduce risk and maximize support for themselves and their children; and
- Using reflective supervision (or consultation) to sustain the hope and energy of service providers and ensure effective service for families.
Seeing is Believing® Training
Seeing Is Believing® training is automatically included as a component of STEEP™ training. However, Seeing Is Believing® is also available independently from STEEP™.
Originally developed as part of the STEEP™ program, Seeing is Believing® is a unique practice that helps parents increase their sensitivity and responsiveness to their babies' cues by using a filming strategy. Through filming and guided viewing, Seeing is Believing® promotes perspective-taking by giving parents a chance to see, from the camera’s point of view, what happens between them and their baby. We have found video technology to be a remarkable tool in helping moms and dads gain new insight into their baby’s feelings and behavior.
The primary goal of using filming is to promote the parents’ self-observation and reinforce their growing knowledge of and sensitivity to their babies. Using the video as a self-observation tool, we present parents with a way of seeing themselves and their babies from a new vantage point. We urge parents to see their own strengths and those of their babies, and encourage them to consider their infant’s perspective as they interact with their babies. The parent keeps the video as a documented memory of the baby’s development.
Trainings are conducted by one of our qualified CEED Affiliated Faculty and Consultants.
Schedule a Training for Your Group
Complete the Training Services Request Form or contact Christopher Watson at 612-625-2898 or email@example.com.
- Purchase the STEEP™ Manual
- Purchase the Seeing is Believing® Training Manual and Practice DVD
- Take the online course Seeing is Believing®
Contact Christopher Watson at 612-625-2898 or firstname.lastname@example.org.