For Students, Faculty, and Staff: MyU One Stop


Add a license
English as a Second Language Education

For teachers who:

  • hold a current Minnesota teaching license
  • want to add, or extend a license to teach English as a Second Language.

Application deadlines:

  • October 1 for Spring admission
  • February 1 for Summer admission
  • June 1 for Fall admission
Children drawing with chalk on sidewalk

Get credit for past work

After you are admitted, you will receive a customized curriculum plan of courses to take to be recommended for licensure.

This ensures you get maximum credit for previous academic work and work experiences.

Get an edge
Cutting-edge research

Our courses are designed and taught by leading researchers.

Knowing the quality of our curriculum and instruction, districts hire and retain our graduates because of their expertise and leadership.

Competencies + coursework

Following are the state-required competency areas and corresponding U of M course requirements for the ESL license.

  • LING 5001 or LING 3001 - Introduction to linguistics
  • CI 5646 - English grammar for ESL teachers
  • CI 5501 - Introduction to language acquisition
  • CI 5641 - Language, culture and education
  • CI 5656 - Teaching literacy in second language classrooms
  • CI 5657 - Teaching speaking and listening in second language classrooms
  • CI 5662 - Second language curriculum design
  • CI 5642 - Assessing English learners
  • CI 5697 - Practicum: Teaching ESL in the elementary school
  • CI 5698 - Student teaching in second languages and cultures

Benefit from a graduate degree
License + M.Ed.

You can pursue the additional license alone or pursue the additional license and M.Ed. degree in second language education at the same time. You will need to apply to both the licensure program and the M.Ed. and then work with your adviser to plan your coursework to meet both requirements simultaneously.

Tuition + Aid

$660.17/credit for residents; $1,021.17/credit for nonresidents

Scholarships, grants, loans and loan forgiveness are available. More cost information is on the CE+HD site.

Add a license in a world language

Many students complete a license in ESL and in a world language.

Arabic | Chinese (Mandarin) | French | German | Hebrew | Italian | Japanese | Latin | Norwegian | Ojibwe | Polish | Russian | Spanish | Swedish | + English as a second language (ESL)

Prepare to apply
All applicants


  • Current state of Minnesota teaching license
  • Bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. institution or foreign equivalent with at least a 2.8 GPA.
  • Experience learning a second language (including American Sign Language) as demonstrated by:
    • Four years of high school second language study OR
    • Two years of college or university second language study OR
    • A non-English language background and bilingualism in English and another language (nonnative English speakers must demonstrate proficiency in English at the "Superior" level on an Oral Proficiency Interview. Schedule an interview through the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) OR
    • Significant experience in a second language community setting or a foreign country with a primary language other than English

Admission decisions are made up to 8 weeks after the application deadline. The number of credits required to complete this program varies based on past coursework, which will be determined upon receipt of your application.

To apply you will need:

  • Unofficial transcripts. Upload your transcripts into the application system; please do not mail your transcripts. Official transcripts are required only after you are admitted. Tips for uploading your transcript(s). Transfer credits must be evaluated and approved by a faculty adviser.
  • Resume. Upload in the Program Supplementary Information - Graduate Program Additional Application section.
  • Educational goal statement. Upload in the Program Supplementary Information section.
  • Current Minnesota teaching license. Upload in the Department\Program Forms section.

Apply online. Complete the following sections:

    • Personal information
    • Application information
    • Educational background
    • Employment/Residence information

Prepare to apply
International applicants

International applicants may also need:

  • An English translation of your transcripts, if the transcript is not in English.
  • A course by course evaluation may be required.
  • TOEFL scores. Official TOEFL scores are required. You may qualify for an exception if you have completed 16 semester or 24 quarter credits within the past 24 months in residence as a full-time student at an accredited institution of higher learning in the United States.

    UMN TOEFL score requirements and submission guidelines

    TOEFL registration and score submission

Yi-Ju Lai