Add a license
For teachers who:
- hold a current Minnesota teaching license
- want to add, or extend, a license to teach math and have completed significant college-level coursework in math
Get credit for past work
After you are admitted, you will receive a customized curriculum plan of courses to take to be recommended for licensure.
This ensures you get maximum credit for previous academic work and work experiences.
Following are the state-required competency areas and the corresponding U of M course requirements:
License + M.Ed.
Benefit from a graduate degree
You can pursue the additional license alone or pursue the additional license and M.Ed. degree in math education at the same time.
You will need to apply to both the license program and the M.Ed. and then work with your adviser to plan your coursework to meet both requirements simultaneously.
Get an edge
Our courses are designed and taught by leading researchers.
Knowing the quality of our curriculum and instruction, districts hire and retain our graduates because of their expertise and leadership.
Tuition + Aid
$660.17/credit for residents; $1,021.17/credit for nonresidents
Scholarships, grants, loans and loan forgiveness are available. More cost information is on the CE+HD site.
Prepare to apply
- Current state of Minnesota teaching license
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. institution or foreign equivalent with at least a 2.8 GPA
- October 1 for Spring admission
- February 1 for Summer admission
- June 1 for Fall admission
Admission decisions are made up to 8 weeks after the application deadline. The number of credits required to complete this program varies based on past coursework, which will be determined upon receipt of your application.
To apply you will need:
- Unofficial transcripts. Upload your transcripts into the application system; please do not mail your transcripts. Official transcripts are required only after you are admitted. Tips for uploading your transcript(s). Transfer credits must be evaluated and approved by a faculty adviser.
- Resume. Upload in the Program Supplementary Information - Graduate Program Additional Application section.
- Educational goal statement. Upload in the Program Supplementary Information section.
- Current Minnesota teaching license. Upload in the Department\Program Forms section.
Apply online. Complete the following sections:
- Personal information
- Application information
- Educational background
- Employment/Residence information
Prepare to apply
International applicants may also need:
- An English translation of your transcripts, if the transcript is not in English.
- A course by course evaluation may be required.
- TOEFL scores. Official TOEFL scores are required. You may qualify for an exception if you have completed 16 semester or 24 quarter credits within the past 24 months in residence as a full-time student at an accredited institution of higher learning in the United States.