Add a license
Arts in Education
For teachers who:
- hold a current Minnesota teaching license
- want to add a license to teach visual arts, dance or theatre arts
- have completed significant college-level coursework in visual, theatre or dance arts
- October 1 for Spring admission
- February 1 for Summer admission
- June 1 for Fall admission
Get credit for past work
Working teachers can pursue their additional licensure in this 12-month program. After you are admitted, you will receive a customized curriculum plan of courses to take to be recommended for licensure.
This ensures you get maximum credit for previous academic work and work experiences.
Benefit from a graduate degree
License + M.Ed.
Pursue the additional license alone or pursue the additional license and M.Ed. degree in art education at the same time.
Apply to both the license program and the M.Ed. and work with your adviser to plan your coursework to meet both requirements simultaneously.
Tuition + Aid
$660.17/credit for residents; $1,021.17/credit for nonresidents
Scholarships and grants are available. If you teach full-time for five complete and consecutive years in schools that serve low-income families, you may be eligible for loan forgiveness of up to $17,500 through a program administered by the federal government.
Learn more about teacher loan forgiveness.
More cost information is on the CE+HD site.
Get an edge
Our courses are designed and taught by leading researchers.
Knowing the quality of our curriculum and instruction, districts hire and retain our graduates because of their expertise and leadership.
Prepare to apply
Required: Current state of Minnesota teaching license and a Bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. institution or foreign equivalent with at least a 2.8 GPA.
Admission decisions are made up to 8 weeks after the application deadline. The number of credits required to complete this program varies based on past coursework, which will be determined upon receipt of your application.
To apply you will need:
- Unofficial transcripts. Upload your transcripts into the application system; please do not mail your transcripts. Official transcripts are required only after you are admitted. Tips for uploading your transcript(s). Transfer credits must be evaluated and approved by a faculty adviser.
- Resume. Upload in the Program Supplementary Information - Graduate Program Additional Application section.
- Educational goal statement. Upload in the Program Supplementary Information section.
- Current Minnesota teaching license. Upload in the Department\Program Forms section.
Apply online. Complete the following sections:
- Personal information
- Application information
- Educational background
- Employment/Residence information
Prepare to apply
International applicants may also need:
- An English translation of your transcripts, if the transcript is not in English.
- A course by course evaluation may be required.
- TOEFL scores. Official TOEFL scores are required. You may qualify for an exception if you have completed 16 semester or 24 quarter credits within the past 24 months in residence as a full-time student at an accredited institution of higher learning in the United States.