For Students, Faculty, and Staff: MyU One Stop


Online Certificate
Dual language + Immersion Education

Designed for preK—12 teachers and other educators to work effectively in dual language and immersion settings--that is, in programs where the second / foreign / heritage / indigenous language is the vehicle to teach school subjects (for example, math or science). The program is currently serving Minnesota educators only (due to grant funds).

For practicing educators outside of Minnesota, interested in the dual language and immersion certificate, please contact the faculty advisor, Diane Tedick

Application priority deadlines:

  • December 15 - Spring start
  • April 30 - Summer start
  • July 31- Fall start
Child with ipad

Four models
Dual language and immersion education

One-way world language immersion. Designed for language-majority students (English speakers in the U.S.) who learn the curriculum through a world language such as Mandarin or Spanish.

Two-way bilingual immersion. Designed for a combined student audience of language-minority (e.g., Spanish speakers) and language-majority (English-speakers) students who learn the curriculum through both languages.

One-way developmental bilingual. In the U.S., typically designed for Spanish speakers to maintain Spanish and learn English.

Indigenous language immersion (one- or two-way). Designed with the goal of revitalizing an endangered language and culture, for example, Ojibwe.

What you'll learn

Complete 15 credits.

Core courses 9 credits:

  • CI 5670—Foundations of dual language and immersion education
  • CI 5671—Curriculum development and assessment in dual language/immersion classrooms
  • CI 5672—Language-focused instructional practices and strategies for dual language\immersion classrooms

Elective courses: Select two courses in collaboration with your faculty adviser. Recommended electives:

  • CI 5676—Biliteracy development in dual language/immersion classrooms
  • CI 5648—Advanced practices in teaching academic language
  • CARLA—Optional summer institutes on immersion education (face-to-face)

Note:  With faculty adviser approval, transfer up to three credits from another institution.

Program planning form (Use this to plan your coursework, then submit one semester prior to finishing program requirements.)

Fit your schedule

The entire program is offered online and will fit into your schedule as a practicing educato.

Benefit from a graduate degree
Certificate + M.Ed.

You can pursue the certificate alone or pursue the certificate with a degree, such as an M.Ed. in language immersion education or an, M.A. or Ph.D. in second language education.

If interested, apply to both programs.

Get an edge
Cutting-edge research

Courses are designed and taught by leading researchers.

Diane J. Tedick

Tuition + Aid

$660.17 per credit for residents

($1,021.17 per credit: nonresidents)

Scholarships, grants, loans and loan forgiveness are available. More cost information is on the CE+HD site. 

Prepare to apply
All applicants

This program does not lead to state teaching certification or licensure. If you want a license to teach in Minnesota, see our full-time licensure program or our program for working professionals.

Currently enrolled students: If you are enrolled in another program at the U, you need to apply to earn this certificate.

Required: Bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. institution or foreign equivalent with at least a 2.8 GPA.

To apply you will need:

  • Unofficial transcripts. Upload your transcripts into the application system; please do not mail your transcripts. Official transcripts are required only after you are admitted. Tips for uploading your transcript(s).
  • Resume. Upload in the Program Supplementary Information - Graduate Program Additional Application section.
  • Goal statement. Describe why you are interested in this program and what you hope to gain professionally by participating in it.

Prepare to apply
International applicants

International applicants may also need:

  • An English translation of your transcripts, if the transcript is not in English. A course by course evaluation may be required.
  • TOEFL scores. Official TOEFL scores are required. You may qualify for an exception if you have completed 16 semester or 24 quarter credits within the past 24 months in residence as a full-time student at an accredited institution of higher learning in the United States.

    UMN TOEFL score requirements and submission guidelines

Download and refer to this tip sheet as you work through the application. The included directions will help you complete your application quickly and smoothly.


Academic adviser
Diane J. Tedick