English as a Second Language Minor
Teaching English as a Second Language Undergraduate Certificate
The ESL Minor/TESL Undergraduate Certificate equips students to be more effective ESL tutors and provides a foundation for further professional preparation at the graduate level. The ESL Minor/TESL Undergraduate Certificate provides a basic level of preparation in the following areas:
- the nature of language and culture
- factors underlying successful informal second language acquisition and formal language learning
- principles of effective language teaching methodology
- the structure of the English language itself
International students already pursuing a full-time academic program at the University of Minnesota are eligible to apply. This certificate program is not intended for international students needing a visa to study in the U.S.
Why Choose the ESL Minor/TESL Certificate?
- Prepares students to assist in community ESL programs for immigrants, such as the Minnesota Literacy Council.
- Prepares students to tutor English during study abroad.
- Provides 30 hours of tutoring experience in a community ESL setting.
- Prepares students for volunteer EFL teaching experience overseas, such as the Japan Exchange and Teaching program, The Peace Corps, and The Fulbright English Teaching Assistants program.
- Provides students with preparation for graduate programs, such as Second Languages and Cultures.
- May be used as an area of study for a degree program.
- Enhances skills in order to be more effective in a current position.
- Prepares students for a career move or advancement by gaining new skills.
- Improves student communication skills, developing both oral presentation and writen communication.
Complete 15 credits (4 courses) with a letter grade of C- or better. These courses are offered each semester, but fill up quickly.
- LING 3001/5001 – Introduction to Linguistics (4 cr)
- CI 3611W (previously SLS 3001) – Basics in Teaching English as a Second Language (4 cr)
- CI 3612 (previously SLS 3401) – Introduction to Pronunciation and Grammar for ESL Teachers (4 cr) Prerequisite: Successful completion of LING 3001/5001 or equivalent. Note that CI 3612 is only open to registered ESL Minors.
- CI 3613 (previously SLS 3501) – Practical Language Learning for International Communication (3 cr)
The ESL Minor and TESL Certificate have the same requirements. Both will appear on your transcript; you will be able to obtain a paper copy of the certificate upon graduation. For those considering graduate study, a minor is generally recognized at U.S. institutions. For teaching EFL overseas, employers often require a certificate, as many are not familiar with a minor.
How to apply
- Submit this form to declare your intent to enroll in the ESL Minor/TESL Certificate
- Nonnative speakers of English must attain a score of 79 or better on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) as a prerequisite for the minor/certificate.
- Transfer credit is only allowed for LING 3001/5001, with approval from the program director. CI 3611W, CI 3612, and CI 3613 must be taken through the ESL minor program at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities.
- The program coordinator for the ESL Minor/TESL Certificate will contact you.