M.Ed. Professional Studies in English Education
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) Professional Studies in English Education is a graduate level, on-campus, practitioner-based program designed for experienced English teachers who want advance their careers and leadership capacity with a graduate-level degree.
This M.Ed. degree is designed for teachers that already hold a teaching license. Courses are offered online, in the evenings, and summer for working professionals.
If you don't have a teaching license, please apply to our M.Ed and Initial Teaching License in English Education program.
With guidance from faculty advisers, you will complete courses in three areas:
- a core academic program in curriculum, assessment, and technology
- topics specific to the area of English education including writing, reading, culturally sensitive pedagogy, and critical media analysis
- elective topics planned around your interests
View all the courses in the catalogue and look under the subplan "English Education".
- Teachers with a master's degree are regarded as experts in their field, making you a more competitive job candidate with an M.Ed.
- Teachers who have a master's degree will see a roughly $7,000 annual salary increase [Teacher.org]
- Though the salary increase with a master's degree will vary by district and state, Minnesota teachers are on the higher end of the payscale. Median Minnesota teacher salaries were $62,470 and $64,310 for middle school and high school respectively in 2016 [BLS].
- Once a teacher is employed, there is much more mobility that comes with a Master's. Teachers with advanced degrees can be promoted to school administration positions and can become mentors to other teachers based upon specific graduate training.
Timeline and Admissions
Applications are accepted for three different start times throughout the year.
Priority admission deadlines:
- December 15 (spring start)
- April 30 (summer start)
- July 31 (fall start)
For more detailed admissions information visit the M.Ed. Professional Studies admissions page