M.Ed. in Professional Studies in Second Language Pedagogy
The M.Ed. in Professional Studies in Second Language Pedagogy is a coursework-only degree designed for practicing world language and ESL teachers who want to advance their careers and leadership capacity. The program is completed in conjunction with the 12-credit summer certificate program in Advanced Practices in Second Language Teaching. Applicants must apply to both the M.Ed. and the certificate programs separately.
Being able to teach languages effectively is becoming increasingly important as the population of English learners grows in the U.S. and the need for native English speakers to acquire other languages for participation in the global marketplace expands.
In addition, earning your M.Ed. will advance your career and earning potential in several ways:
- Teachers with a master's degree are regarded as experts in their field, making you a more competitive job candidate with an M.Ed.
- Teachers who have a master's degree will see a roughly $7,000 annual salary increase [Teacher.org]
- Though the salary increase with a master's degree will vary by district and state, Minnesota teachers are on the higher end of the payscale. Median Minnesota teacher salaries was $59,820 in 2016 [BLS]
- Once a teacher is employed, there is much more mobility that comes with a Master's. Teachers with advanced degrees can be promoted to school administration positions and can become mentors to other teachers based upon specific graduate training.
The Core Curriculum covers instruction, assessment and implementation of second language and culture education. Courses are offered in the evenings and during the summer. To see the curriculum requirements in detail visit the course catalog under M.Ed. Professional Studies and look under the subplan “Second Language Pedagogy”.
Priority admission deadlines:
- December 15 (spring start)
- April 30 (summer start)
- July 31 (fall start)
A bachelor's degree and 2.80 GPA is required. To find detailed admission information for the program, please visit the M.Ed. in Professional Studies admission page.