Additional Teaching License Admissions
- Dates and deadlines
- Required documents
- International applicants
- Earn your M.Ed
- Financial aid
- Program Faculty Advisors
What we look for
Teachers who hold a current Minnesota teaching license who wish to add an additional license in a new program area in which they have completed significant college-level coursework or have significant experience.
Core competency areas by license type
- Communication arts and literature
- Math 5-8
- Math 5-12
- World Languages
- Theatre Arts
- Visual Arts
Dates and deadlines
- October 1 for Spring admission
- February 1 for Summer admission
- June 1 for Fall admission
Admission decisions are made up to 8 weeks after the application deadline. The number of credits required to complete this program varies based on past coursework, which will be determined upon receipt of your application.
Required application documents
To apply you will need:
Unofficial transcripts. Upload your transcripts into the application system; please do not mail your transcripts. Official transcripts are required only after you are admitted. Tips for uploading your transcript(s). Transfer credits must be evaluated and approved by a faculty adviser.
Resume. Upload in the Program Supplementary Information -Graduate Program Additional Application section.
Educational goal statement. Upload in the Program Supplementary Information section.
Current Minnesota teaching license. Upload in the Department\Program Forms section.
Complete only the following sections:
- Personal information
- Application information
- Educational background
- Employment/Residence information
International applicants may also need:
- An English translation of your transcripts, if the transcript is not in English.
- A course by course evaluation may be required.
- TOEFL scores. Official TOEFL scores are required. You may qualify for an exception if you have completed 16 semester or 24 quarter credits within the past 24 months in residence as a full-time student at an accredited institution of higher learning in the United States.
Earn your Master’s in Education
You can pursue the additional license alone or pursue the additional license and an M.Ed. degree in the same program area concurrently.
You will need to apply to both the license program and the M.Ed. and then work with your adviser to plan your coursework to meet both requirements simultaneously. More information on application to the M.Ed. program.
Tuition varies depending on your degree program, student status, and residency.
If you are seeking only the certificate, you pay the CE+HD departmental master's tuition rate. More cost information is on the CE+HD site.
How to Apply
Before applying online, go through the application checklist to ensure you have all the required materials. We are here to help! If you have questions, please contact the faculty advisor in your program area.
Adding a teaching license requires a current Minnesota state teaching license along with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution or foreign equivalent with at least a 2.8 GPA.
Program Faculty Advisors
Contact the program faculty in your area of interest for more information:
- Visual Arts License, Jim Bequette
- Theatre and dance license areas, Betsy Maloney
- Communication Arts & Literacy license, Jessica Dockter Tierney
- English as a Second Language, Diane Tedick
- Math, Terrence Wyberg
- Science, Barbara Billington
- Reading, Bonnie Houck
- World Languages, Diane Tedick
Download and refer to this tip sheet as you work through the application. The included directions will help you complete your application quickly and smoothly.