Rebecca Dosch Brown
Student Services Adviser
360 Education Sciences Building
For appointments, call 612-625-3339
Advises for undergraduate programs in
- Business and marketing education
- Early childhood education foundations
- Elementary education foundations
- Human resource development
I have been an academic adviser since 2006. Before then I worked as a university lecturer, a classroom teacher, a poet-in-the-schools, and as a teacher-trainer. I studied and worked in Japan for over twelve years as well.
My academic background and experience is in English as a Foreign Language (EFL), world literature, creative writing, disability rights, and culturally-responsive education. I have a B.A. in English literature (University of Minnesota), an M.F.A. in creative writing (University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa), and post-graduate certificates in educational technologies (University of British Columbia, Vancouver) and disability policy and services (University of Minnesota). I am deeply interested in how we can build interdependent, inclusive learning communities.
I enjoy traveling to large cities with my son and my husband, and I also write poems and flash fiction whenever I can.
My goal as your academic adviser is to be positive and supportive of your professional and personal development. I will always encourage you to access the many opportunities available to you at the University of Minnesota. I am hopeful that you, as a future educator and youth worker, will grow into an empathetic and engaged life-long learner.
I look forward to working with you!
Tuesdays, 3:00-4:00 p.m., Fridays, 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Note: At times during the semester these hours do fluctuate. It is always best to call ahead to ensure the drop-in hours are still available.
Drop-in hours will be different for every adviser.
- Drop-in advising is usually limited to a 10 to 15 minute session. Students needing more time should schedule a 30 minute appointment by calling Student Services at 612-625-3339.
Example of Issues for Drop-in Advising
- Review of classes and class schedule
- APAS review and updates
- Petition discussions
- Signatures for academic forms
- Short Q&A
- General discussion
- Non-academic topics (such as time management, connecting on campus, etc.)
Select Highlights and Interests
Equity and diversity related development
- Ongoing mentor of underrepresented college students for study abroad scholarships
- Consultant on disability rights and inclusive community building
- Coordinator of empathy building and bullying prevention events at K-8 school
- LEND (federal program) family mentor for fostering pre-professionals understanding of autism
- University of Minnesota Equity and Diversity certificate participant
- Jerome Foundation Emerging Artist Retreat grantee
- Buckman fellow for ongoing community work in K-8 schools
- Jerome Foundation Travel & Study grantee
- Loft Literary Arts Mentor Program fellow