TRiO Student Support Services Adviser
40 Education Sciences Building
For appointments, call 612-625-0772
I started out as a TRiO student in General College at the University of Minnesota (U of M) in 1998, and earned a B.A. in Women's Studies from CLA at the U of M in 2003. After graduation I spent four years working for non-profits in California (two of which were as an AmeriCorps volunteer), in the fields of hunger-relief and domestic violence. I have a graduate certificate in Academic Advising from Kansas State University, as well as a graduate certificate in Teaching Adult Learners and an M.A. in Adult Education from Portland State University (PSU). I am also a certified Communication Across Barriers Poverty Coach, trained to serve as an expert around breaking poverty barriers within organizations and improving outcomes for people who are living in poverty.
My professional experience also includes advising and mentoring for the Students First program at PSU (serving first-generation students), as well as working as an instructor for TRiO supplementary instruction courses through Augsburg’s summer bridge program. My research interests include class as diversity, creating inclusive learning environments, and working-class and poverty studies. In my spare time I enjoy spending time with family and friends, local music, biking, and travel.
Drop-in Advising Hours
Academic year drop-in hours: Tuesdays, 2:30-3:30 pm.,
Thursdays, 9:30-10:30 a.m.
Note: At times during the semester these hours do fluctuate. It is always best to call ahead to ensure the drop-in hours are still available.
Drop-in hours will be different for every adviser
- Drop-in advising is usually limited to a 10 to 15 minute session. Students needing more time should schedule a 30 minute appointment by calling Student Services at 612-625-0772.
- During the summer months, drop-in advising hours are not regularly held. Please call CEHD Student Services at 612-625-0772 to schedule an appointment.
Examples of Issues for Drop-in advising
- Review of classes and class schedules
- APAS review and updates
- Petition discussions
- Signatures for academic forms
- Short Q & A
- General discussion
- Non-academic topics (such as time management, connecting on campus, etc.)
- Referral to resources