Developmental disabilities program (M.Ed.)
Follow the admission link at right for detailed instructions on applying for the program. Deadline for application is March 1.
The professional development program in special education specializing in developmental disabilities leads to K-12 classroom licensure and an M.Ed. degree and is designed to prepare teachers to work in a variety of educational settings.
The program philosophy focuses on cultural and social diversity and meeting the needs of individual students who have developmental disabilities. Graduates are prepared to assess, analyze and problem solve the challenges of learning for students with developmental disabilities and their families, focusing on the objective of providing effective teaching practices and instructional strategies.
Careers in developmental disabilities
Graduates of our program may serve as classroom or resource room teachers, as consultants to the general classroom teacher, and as itinerant teachers providing direct service to students and their families. Professional teachers may serve students who range in age from kindergarten through young adults, who have additional conditions, and who come from a variety of cultural, linguistic and socio-economic backgrounds.
Students entering as an initial licensure student or those who do not hold a MN license will need to complete the SEP and ABS requirements or show proof of prior completion. Please see the ABS Page for more info.
Developmental Disabilities Course Requirements (12 credits)
- EPSY 5621 – Assessment and Instructional Design for Students with Developmental Disabilities (3cr)
- EPSY 5622 – Programs and Curricula for Students with Developmental Disabilities (3cr)
- EPSY 5624 – Biomedical and Physical Impairments of Students with Developmental Disabilities (2cr)
- EPSY 5636 – Sensory Impairments of Students with Developmental Disabilities (2cr)
- EPSY 5706 – Practicum in Moderate/Severe Developmental Disabilities (2cr) or EPsy 5755/6 – Student Teaching: Developmental Disabilities (6cr)