Talent development & gifted education certificate requirements
To be admitted, you must be a degree-seeking or non-degree seeking student who has completed a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution or international student pursuing a full-time academic program at the University of Minnesota.
- Degree seeking/non- degree seeking students
- Completed bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Typed goal statement
- International applicants only: TOEFL, ITS, etc. test scores
- Application fee
October 15: Spring semester
March 1: Fall or summer semester
How to apply
Graduate School Application
Unofficial transcripts or academic records should be uploaded directly to the online application. International students should also upload an English translation if the transcript is not in English. Please do not mail in paper copies of your transcripts, there is no need for official transcripts or academic records for initial review.
If you are admitted, the University will then request official copies of this material.
English language test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.)
Report your TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB scores (non-native English speakers only).
Applicant Statement #1 - Personal statement
Upload a statement (not to exceed three double-spaced pages) to your application, outlining your interests and professional goals. This statement is an integral part of your application and will be weighted heavily in its evaluation. You should include, minimally, the following points:
- Why are you interested in talent development and gifted education certificate program?
- What are your primary areas of interest related to talent development and gifted education?
Certificate tuition varies, depending on a student’s enrollment status and residency. Tuition fees are charged according to the following criteria:
- Students seeking only the certificate pay the CEHD departmental master’s (M.Ed.) tuition rate.
- Students enrolled in certificate and master of education (M.Ed.) programs pay the CEHD departmental master’s (M.Ed.) tuition rate.
- Students enrolled in Graduate School programs (e.g., M.A., Ph.D., Ed.D.) pay Graduate School tuition rates.
Financial aid & scholarships
General financial aid advising and information are available through One Stop.
For graduate assistantship/scholarship information (for students enrolled in graduate degree programs), contact the Graduate Assistant Employment office:
Mail: 200 Donhowe Minneapolis, MN 55455
Walk-in: 100 Donhowe Minneapolis, MN 55455
Program completion requirements
Final certificate clearance depends on completion of all course requirements, including the posting of final grades to the student’s transcript. Students will have a maximum of seven years to complete coursework for the certificate.
In addition to completing all program requirements, students must complete the following degree application process. Navigate to the graduate completion application via MyU through the “Academics” tab > “Degree Progress” and click on the Apply to Graduate link. Complete a Graduate Degree Plan listing your 13 program credits and signed by your adviser. Forms must be turned in no later than the first of the month that you intend to graduate.
Successful completion of the certificate will be noted on the student's official University of Minnesota transcript and an official certificate will be issued.