Process for students to meet
licensure rule requirements
- Applicants for licensure must minimally hold a baccalaureate degree and a valid elementary, secondary, or K-12 classroom teaching license or satisfactorily complete and demonstrate the standards of effective practice, and,
- Satisfactorily complete the core knowledge and skills for special education professionals, and
- Satisfactorily complete the disability specific knowledge and skills for special education professionals.
'Satisfactory completion' is defined through a series of reviews including:
- Accomplishment of course objectives and/or outcomes as described within each of the program areas of study including: 1) standards of effective practice or an existing and valid classroom teaching license, 2) special education core and, 3) disability specific program of study).
- Presentation of the applicant's professional portfolio to the academic advisor
- Recommendation for licensure by the school-based and university-based supervising teachers as evidenced on the evaluation forms.
- Review and approval of licensure application forms by your university program adviser and the College of Education and Human Development Licensure Officer.
Submit your application materials to your academic advisor for review. Your materials will then be submitted to the CEHD Office of Teacher Education for final review and submission to MDE. Note: Requirements are subject to change; please check with your academic advisor prior to submitting your materials.
- You must complete the CEHD Exit Survey prior to submitting your application packet. The survey link will be emailed to you from the CEHD Office of Teacher Education. If you have questions or have not received the survey, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following items need to be included in your licensure application packet:
For DHH applicants only:
- Full licensure requires SCPI rating of Intermediate Plus or higher
- Oral/Aural licensure requires SCPI rating of Survival OR six (6) semester credits of American Sign Language
MDE Application form:
Initial Licensure Applicants: You will submit your application online and print the folowing to include in your packet:
- Copy of application checklist
- Copy of application payment receipt (application fee of $93.45 will be charged when submitted)
- Copy of form ED# 02414-01
NOTE: We will have 60 days from when you submit your online application, which means that you must make sure that all requirements and tests are completed before you fill our the online application.
- Additional Licensure Applicants: You will submit a paper application:
- Personal check, money order, or cashier's check (see instructions on application form)