Parent Education Certificate
The 16-credit online parent education certificate program is designed to prepare professionals to plan, coordinate, and teach parent education programs and services for families with children from early childhood through adolescence.
In addition to working in educational settings (including public-school parent education programs, preschools, child care centers, and Head Start programs) certified parent educators may also work in health care, social-service agencies and institutions, and faith-based settings.
In Minnesota, a parent educator license is required for employment in ECFE (early childhood family education) programs offered by public school districts. Learn more about the Parent and Family Education Licensure.
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. academic institution or foreign equivalent
- Complete the equivalent of six semester undergraduate or graduate credits in child development courses before entering the parent education certificate program, completed within 10 years of admission to the certificate program. If these credits have not been completed at the time of application, the applicant may be admitted conditionally until they are completed and recorded on a transcript. The following CEHD courses are examples of child development courses that may meet this requirement:
- CPSY 4331 - Social and Personality Development
- CPSY 4343 - Cognitive Development
Apply using the ApplyYourself online admissions system (all supplementary information must also be submitted online).
For more information visit the Graduate School's Admissions page.
PARENT EDUCATION CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS
The following information is requested specifically by the Department of Family Social Science's parent education program.
- 1. Application Form (PDF)
- Upload in Program Supplementary Information section of online application, as Upload #2.
Indicate the degree you are applying for; verify that all required information has been submitted and that your application is complete. Click here to download the form.
- 2. Transcripts/Academic Records
- Upload in Educational Background section of online application.
You must upload unofficial transcripts or academic records for each higher learning institution where you have earned credit, including partial or incomplete transcripts. Please do not mail in paper copies of your transcripts, there is no need for official transcripts or academic records for initial review. If you are admitted, the University will then request official copies of this material.
Click here for more information about transcripts and academic records.
- 3. English language assessment tests (TOEFL, MELAB, IELTS)
- Report in Test Information Self-Reported section of online application.
Our program utilizes the operational standards set by the Graduate School for English language proficiency requirements. See Graduate School Admissions for more information on minimum standards.
- 4. Educational Goals Statement
- Upload in Applicant Statements section of online application.
One page describing professional qualifications, interest in the field of parent education, and how applicants expect to apply knowledge gained through the program to their professional work.
- 5. Diversity Statement
- Upload in Applicant Statements section; required information is described in the online application.
- 6. Resume
- Upload in Program Supplementary Information section of online application.
As your application is reviewed, you can log back into your account to view your current application status. Your admission decision will also display in your online application account.
Please submit the enrollment confirmation form, located in your decision letter.
All courses must be selected with your adviser and submitted to the Parent Education Certificate Checklist (PDF).
Learn more about the parent education certificate in the Parent & Family Education Program Manual.
Visit CEHD's Tuition, Costs, and Aid page for information on tuition, fees, and financial aid.
Visit Assistantships, Fellowships, & Other Funding for more information on funding opportunities through CEHD and UMN.
If you have questions contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org, 612-624-1294