Apply for an M.Ed. in Family Education (Master's Plan C)
Parent & Family Education License optional sub plan
Summer/Fall Admission: March 1
Spring Admission: October 1
Apply using the ApplyYourself online admissions system (all supplementary information must also be submitted online).
For more information visit the Graduate School's Admissions page.
FAMILY EDUCATION PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
The following information is requested specifically by the Department of Family Social Science's family education program.
- 1. Application Form (PDF)
- Upload in Program Supplementary Information section of online application, as Upload #1.
Indicate the degree you are applying for; verify that all required information has been submitted and that your application is complete. Download the form.
- 2. Transcripts/Academic Records
- Upload in Educational Background section of online application.
You must upload unofficial transcripts or academic records for each higher learning institution where you have earned credit, including partial or incomplete transcripts. Please do not mail in paper copies of your transcripts. There is no need for official transcripts or academic records for initial review. If you are admitted, the University will then request official copies of these materials.
- GPA: 2.8 or higher (on a 4.0 acale) is required for admission (3.0 or higher is preferred)
- Related coursework preferred (i.e., family consumer sciences, human development, psychology)
- 3. English language assessment tests (TOEFL, MELAB, IELTS)
- Report in Test Information Self-Reported section of online application.
Our program utilizes the operational standards set by the Graduate School for English language proficiency requirements. Visit the Graduate School Admissions' website for more information on minimum standards.
- 4. Letter of Recommendation
- See Recommendations under Important Links on the application site.
One letter of recommendation is required. Ask someone to write a letter of recommendation who can speak to your experience and promise in working with families, parents, and/or children. If possible the letter should also address the likelihood of success in post-baccalaureate study. When you apply, list the name and email of your recommender.
- The online application includes a section for you to enter the contact information for your recommender. Please notify the individual you select as your recommender that they will receive an email from the application system with instructions on how to submit their letter.
- 5. Statement
- Upload in Applicant Statements section of online application as Statement #1.
Write a statement (500-1000 words) describing your responses to the following:
- How do your long-term professional goals fit with the purpose of the family education program? The purpose of the family education program is to prepare practitioners to design, deliver, and evaluate educational programs in a variety of settings for parents and families.
- How does your background contribute to your desire to seek professional development in family education?
- Describe any additional experiences that have prepared you for a Master's Plan C degree in family social science (e.g., experience with online courses, previous graduate level coursework).
- 6. Resume
- Upload in Program Supplementary Information section of online application.
Tailor your resume to highlight your experiences and achievements working with parents and families.
- 7. Optional: Current MN Teaching License
- Upload in Department/Program Forms section of online application if you have a current MN teaching license.
- 8. Optional: Extenuating Circumstances Statement
- Upload in Program Supplementary Information section of online application, as Upload #2.
While this is not required, if there is something on your transcript that does not accurately reflect who you are as a student, please write up to 500 words documenting unusual circumstances or hardships you have faced and the ways in which you have overcome or responded to them.
As your application is reviewed, you can log back into your account to view your current application status. Your admission decision will also display in your online application account.
If you have questions contact us: email@example.com, 612-625-2705