Come to our FREE discernment counseling workshop
On Friday, June 3, 2016, we are offering a free, all-day training on discernment counseling. Continuing education credits will be offered.
Please visit the training page for more information.
Nearly everyone enters marriage with the dream of a lifelong union. But many couples reach a crisis point where divorce is on the table. Sometimes it's after years of emotional distance, financial problems, sexual problems, or constant arguing. Sometimes it's after a recent affair or an illness that creates an emergency.
Whatever the reason, usually one spouse thinks that divorce is the only way to solve the problem, while the other spouse wants to hang on and make things better. Then they fight about whether to divorce. Once the legal divorce process begins, the alienation and conflict can escalate, and before long all hope for the marriage or for a constructive divorce is gone.
It doesn't have to be this way.
We are pioneering Discernment Counseling, a new way for couples to pause, take a breath, and look at their options. It's different from traditional marriage counseling aimed at improving the marriage. We don't assume that you both want to preserve the marriage, only that you are both willing to take a look at what's happened to your marriage and decide whether to break up or to try to repair it.
If you or your spouse are considering divorce, we can help you
- gain clarity and confidence about what steps to take next with your marriage
- understand what has happened to your marriage
- look at both sides of problems - yours and your spouse's
- determine whether past counseling has been helpful or not so helpful
- evaluate the possibility of solving your problems and staying married
- make a good decision about whether or not to move towards divorce