Discernment Counseling Training for Therapists
About the training
The most critical life decision most therapists deal with in their everyday practice is helping couples decide whether to dissolve a marriage or try to save it. Nevertheless few of us have had specific training in assisting an ambivalent couple on the brink of divorce. This online video teaches a step-by-step protocol for offering clients a "consultation for decision-making." We'll explore how to help the partner wanting to leave to examine the decision with integrity, while helping the other partner to both maximize the possibility that the marriage will remain intact and, if necessary, prepare for changes if the divorce happens. The protocol provides time for reflective decision making and challenges each partner's idea that the other "will never change." A videotaped therapy session will demonstrate the skills.
How to purchase
- Click the button below to purchase access to the online training video.
- You will be redirected to the University of Minnesota Bookstore where you'll complete the purchase securely.
- Once your transaction is complete, you will receive an email from the U of M Bookstore with a link to our website where the video is located for viewing, as well as a password to use to enter the site. You will have unlimited access to the video if you retain the link and password sent to you from the U of M Bookstore.
- This video is for licensed therapists and therapy graduate students only. If you are an individual seeking discernment counseling for your relationship, please visit our Directory of Discernment Counselors.
- Unfortunately, the Minnesota Couples on the Brink Project does not offer CEUs for the video training. However, you may be able to get CEUs by applying for credit to your licensing board.