Recreation, Park, and Leisure Studies
Turn your passion for the outdoors into a career.
Through experiential learning opportunities you’ll gain experience in an area of your choice, from leading wilderness explorations to working for a state or national park.
What You'll Study
- View a sample plan of classes or a complete list of program requirements.
- Choose a focus on recreation administration or participate in the outdoor recreation and education minor.
- Complete an internship to gain experience in the field. Read about RPLS student’s Max Van Vlaenderen internship at Three Rivers Park District.
- Study eco-tourism in Costa Rica or climb Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. Read about RPLS student Mary Russell’s trip to Tanzania.
“I considered a lot of related environmental majors but decided this was the best one because I want to work with people,” Emily Lipson, ‘15.
Your Community & Instructors
- The RPLS program is a close-knit community of students and faculty.
- Connie Magnuson, RPLS program director
- Park/forest ranger
- Outdoor tourism guide
- Natural resource manager