Fulfill a passion for working with urban and diverse youth.
You’ll examine issues affecting youth through a social justice lens. Apply your knowledge in the community through experiential learning and internships.
What You'll Study
- View a sample plan of classes or a complete list of program requirements.
- Coursework includes civic engagement, social justice and youth development.
- Complete an internship at a community based organization like Cycles for Change, Patrick’s Cabaret, and local YMCAs or YWCAs.
- Study youth work in Croatia.
“When I came to the orientation presentation for youth studies, it was so easygoing and hilarious, and painted as a kind of family atmosphere. Coming from a small high school to the University, I definitely wanted that.” Jade Beauclair ‘14.
Your Community & Instructors
- Michael Baizerman, director of Youth Studies
- Katie Johnston-Goodstar studies youth development and civic engagement among Native and Urban youth, youth and media, and critical pedagogy. Youth studies alumnae Jessica K. Thompson worked with Johnston-Goodstar on a research project.
- Ross VeLure Roholt studies youth civic engagement, and has worked with kids around the world from a homeless shelter in Minneapolis to strife torn villages of Northern Ireland and the Palestinian territories.
- Youth counselor
- After school activities director