skip to navigation skip to content

Select a course:

CPSY 4311 - Behavioral and Emotional Problems of Children

This undergraduate course is designed to provide an introduction to the science and applications of developmental psychopathology during childhood and adolescence. Students will learn how to apply a developmental perspective to the issues of describing, understanding, and treating psychological problems in young people. Students will be introduced to the principles of developmental psychopathology; classification and diagnosis; ethical issues in research and practice related to mental health in young people; and contemporary research on the etiology, course, treatments, and consequences of common behavioral and emotional problems and disorders. Emerging issues in diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and recovery will be discussed, and students will learn about graduate professional training and the nature of professional and paraprofessional jobs related to the development of psychological health in diverse contexts of schools, hospitals, clinics, public health, private practice, research, policy, and teaching.

Who should take this course?

Students who are interested in learning about how development is impacted by behavioral and emotional disorders.

Students who are interested in working or pursuing graduate studies in psychology, special education, disability services, social work, and health careers.

What degree requirements might this class fulfill?
Child Psychology B.A.
Child Psychology B.S.
Child Psychology Minor

For official information about how this class would fulfill major requirements or college requirements, please consult your college adviser and your APAS. Access to your APAS report can be found under the Academics tab on MyU.

CPsy 2301 Introductory Child Psychology (or equivalent)

Grading Basis:
A-F or audit


Terms this class is typically offered:

Instructors who teach this class:
Canan Karatekin
Ann Masten

Sample syllabus
Link to PDF

Have additional questions about this class or need a permission number? Contact Meghan Eliason, Child Psychology Adviser, at