skip to navigation skip to content

Contact Us

M.Ed./Initial Licensure in Early Childhood Education

(Minnesota state licensure in early childhood education)

Our M.Ed./initial licensure program is for students with bachelor's degrees who want to become licensed teachers in Minnesota. This graduate-level program provides rigorous, professional teacher preparation in accordance with the Standards of Effective Practice for Teachers (SEPT) and subject matter standards for teachers of early childhood education adopted by the Minnesota Board of Teaching.

This program includes two components: initial licensure and the M.Ed. degree. After successfully completing licensure requirements, students are recommended for state licensure in Minnesota to teach early childhood education (Birth-3rd grade). A capstone course taken in conjunction with the final student teaching experience completes requirements for a master of education (M.Ed.) degree.

Two groups of students typically apply to this M.Ed./initial licensure program:

  1. University of Minnesota-Twin Cities B.S. in Early Childhood Education: Foundations graduates: These applicants have completed or are completing our undergraduate program (B.S. in Early Childhood Education: Foundations). This group typically completes the licensure portion of the program in 2 semesters. Admission is only available in fall semesters.
  2. All other applicants: These applicants have a bachelor's degree from another major at the University of Minnesota, or from another school. This group typically completes the program in 4-5 semesters plus one summer. Required coursework is scheduled throughout the day, as well as in the evening. Admission is available in the fall, spring, and summer sessions.

Important note: This is an initial licensure program that is designed for teachers pursuing their first Minnesota teaching license. Individuals who already hold a Minnesota teaching license may not obtain a second license via an initial licensure program according to state rules. Thus, this program is not open to individuals already holding a Minnesota teaching license.

Coursework and Program Requirements

Curriculum and program requirements, University Catalogs

Other resources



CEHD Career Services

About the Twin Cities


Contact us at: