How to apply
- Be sure to save your PIN number and password, so that you can work on the application over time.
- Take your time and follow instructions carefully! Once your application is submitted, you will no longer have access to add/change information or upload required supplemental material.
- As your application is reviewed, you will receive email notifications of your status.
- Your application status and decision will also be posted in your application account.
Submit the following five required application materials (listed below)
- Transcripts - Unofficial transcripts or academic records should be uploaded directly to the online application. International students should also upload an English translation if the transcript is not in English. Please do not mail in paper copies of your transcripts. There is no need for official transcripts or academic records for initial review. If you are admitted, the University will then request official copies of this material. Click here for more information about transcripts and credentials.
- Upload in the Program Supplementary Information section under the "Resume or CV" item.
- Instructions - Your resume should highlight your work with children, classroom experience, diversity experience, and other experiences relevant to teaching young children. These types of experiences are not required for application but are considered valuable.
- Write an essay describing the world you come from--for example, your family, community or school. Tell us about a time when your worldview has informed and/or been challenged by working with children/youth. Reflecting on this and other experiences, how do you hope to grow as a reflective teacher through our program? No longer than 5 pages. Standard font-size (12 point). Double-spaced. Include your name at the top of each page.
- The essay should be uploaded into the application system in the Applicant Statements section as Statement #1. The other statements requested in the Applicant Statements section of the application are not required.
- Two Letters of Recommendation:
- These letters should be written by someone who written by someone who can speak to your experience working with children/youth, or who can vouch for your commitment to educational equity.
- Enter your recommenders' information into the Recommendations section of the application, and they will be notified by the system with instructions for submitting the letter online.
- Application fee:
- This $75 fee is charged when you submit your application and is required for each application you submit.
- Fees must be paid online with a credit card.
- The application fee is $95 for international students.
Nonnative English speakers and/or international students
- Coursework Completed Outside the United States - If you completed coursework at a university outside of the United States, your transcripts must be evaluated by a professional credential evaluation center by requesting a “course-by-course” evaluation.
A suggested provider of this service is Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE). You can, however, use any provider that is an accredited member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Note: This transcript evaluation does not need to be submitted when you apply, but it is needed by the end of the first term to meet state licensing requirements. Official credential evaluation reports can be mailed to Chelen Gore, License Coordinator, 275 Peik Hall, 159 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455.
- Submit an official score report from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Register for the test and submit scores here: http://www.ets.org/toefl/. Refer to the TOEFL score requirements and submissions guidelines.
Note that all applicants must take the Minnesota Teacher Licensure Basic Skills Test [Reading (test code 001), Writing (test code 002), and Mathematics (test code 003)] after admission but prior to beginning the program:
- See the Testing page for more information on MTLE testing for licensure.
If you have questions, please look over the links at the top of this page then contact Lindsey Jendraszak, program adviser, at email@example.com.