Admission to the program is based on the following criteria:
- You have earned a Bachelor’s Degree or it is near completion. You cannot begin the program until your Bachelor’s Degree is completed.
- At the time of application, the minimum requirement is a 2.80 overall GPA. Please note: these are minimum GPA requirements to be considered for admission. The average overall GPA tends to be much higher.
- Your Resume, which highlights your work with children, classroom experience, diversity experience, and other experiences relevant to teaching young children. These types of experiences are not required for application but are considered valuable.
- Two Letters of Recommendation written by someone who can speak to your experience working with children/youth, or who can vouch for your commitment to educational equity.
- One essay describing the world you come from--for example, your family, community or school. Tell us about a time when your worldview has informed and/or been challenged by working with children/youth. Reflecting on this and other experiences, how do you hope to grow as a reflective teacher through our program? No longer than 5 pages. Standard font-size (12 point). Double-spaced. Include your name at the top of each page.
Important note: This is an initial licensure program that is designed for teachers pursuing their first Minnesota teaching license. Individuals who already hold a Minnesota teaching license may not obtain a second license via an initial licensure program according to state rules. Thus, this program is not open to individuals already holding a Minnesota license.
Please visit the How to Apply page for specific instructions.
Please visit the Timeline page for specific application deadlines.