Thomas Stoffregen, PhD
Areas of Interest
Perception and action, human factors, control of posture and orientation, ecological psychology
Graduate education faculty
Director, Affordance Perception-Action Laboratory
Member, Center for Cognitive Sciences
Graduate faculty, Department of Psychology
Graduate faculty, Department of Industrial Engineering
Graduate faculty, All University Graduate Minor in Human Factors/Ergonomics
Graduate faculty, Graduate program in Neuroscience
School of Kinesiology
224A Cooke Hall
1900 University Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
- Ph.D., human experimental psychology, Cornell University, 1984
- B.A., psychology, with high honors, Oberlin College, 1979
Current research interests
Perception and control of body orientation, and its integration with simultaneous suprapostural action (research carried out in the context of human-computer interaction); postural stability and motion sickness in virtual environments; perception and control of the dynamics of actor-environment systems (i.e., perception and exploitation of affordances).
- 2001-present, University of Minnesota
- 2005-present, visiting Professor, University of Montpellier 1, France
- 2004-2005, faculty member, graduate program in motor control, Universities of Paris 5, 10, and 11, France
- 2000-present, visiting Professor, University of Paris-Sud XI, France
- 1990-2001, University of Cincinnati
- 1998, visiting Professor, University of the Mediterranean, France
- 1988-1990, University of Alabama
- 1986-1987, Computer Technology Associates, Inc., Lanham, MD
- 1985-1986, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH (NRC postdoctoral associate)
- 1984-1985, post-doctoral fellowship, Cornell University
Research support and awards
- Inducted as an Active Fellow of the American Academy of Kinesiology and Physical Education, 2007
- "Enactive Interfaces." A Network of Excellence of the European Comission, €5,000,000, 2004-2007
- "Postural instability & visually-induced motion sickness." National Institute of Deafness and Communication Disorders, $600,000, 2004-2007
- "MRI: Acquiring of Human Dimensioning Equipment for Product Development", National Science Foundation, $262,806, 2003-2006
- "Visual performance and the optical control of stance." National Science Foundation, $299,920. 2003-2006
- "Postural instability and motion sickness in head-mounted virtual environments." University of Minnesota Grant in Aid of Research, $25,000. 2002-2003
- "The Control of Posture: Information and Dynamics." Joint NSF/CNRS (US/French) award, $18,000 (solely for international travel). 1997-2000 (co-PI: Dr. B. G. Bardy)
- "Visual control of posture within the normal range of motion". National Science Foundation, $194,000. 1996-1999
- "Postural instability as an etiological factor in visually-induced motion sickness". Naval Air Warfare Center, $25,000. 1994-1996
- Faculty achievement award, University of Cincinnati, 1995
- Marquis Who's Who
- Lexington Who's Who
- Distinguished off-campus scholar, Miami University, appointed 1999
- Post-doctoral research associateship, the National Research Council, in the Flight Simulation Laboratory, Armstrong Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH. 1985-86
- Post-doctoral fellowship, the Spenser Foundation, with Dr. Eleanor J. Gibson. 1984-85
Faculty and administrative load
Undergraduate teaching experience
- Motor Learning and Motor Development
- Perception & Action
- Introductory Statistics
- The Psychology of Spaceflight
Graduate teaching experience
- Human Factors Psychology
- Perception & Action
- Non-linear Dynamics
- Intermodal Perception
- Theory of Affordances
Other collegiate assignments
- College of Education and Human Development Promotion and Tenure Review Workgroup
- College of Education and Human Development Academic Uses of Technology Committee
- College of Education and Human Development Awards Committee
Professional and academic association memberships
- Society for Neuroscience
- International Society for Ecological Psychology
- American Psychological Society
- American Psychological Association, Division 3
- Psychonomic Society
- Sigma Xi
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
Professional assignments and activities
- Program chair, XV International Conference on Perception and Action, 2007, Minneapolis, MN
- Program co-chair for Psychophysics and Psychology of Action and Perception for the 2nd International Conference on Enactive Interfaces, November 17-18, 2005, Genoa, Italy
- Member, Scientific Committee, 11th International Conference of the Association des Chercheurs en Activités Physiques et Sportives, Paris, France (October 26-28, 2005)
- Consulting Editor for the Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception & Performance (appointed 2004)
- Panelist, NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (2001, 2002, 2003, 2007)
- Advisory Board, The Handbook of Virtual Environments Technology
- Consulting Editor, Ecological Psychology (appointed 1996)
Ad hoc reviewer
- Acta Psychologica
- Applied Ergonomics
- Behavioral and Brain Sciences
- Brain Research Bulletin
- Developmental Psychobiology
- Developmental Psychology
- Ecological Psychology
- Human Factors
- Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception & Performance
- Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences
- Journal of Motor Behavior
- Motor Control
- National Science Foundation
- Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport
- Perception & Psychophysics
- Psychological Review, Psycolloquy
- Institute of Human Development, University of California, Berkeley
- Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
- National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS), Marseille, France
- National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, England
- National Institutes of Occupational Safety and Health, Cincinnati, OH, USA
- Neurological Sciences Institute, Portland, OR, USA
- University of Aizu, Japan
- University of Alabama, USA ama, USA
- University of Birmingham, England
- University of Geneva, Switzerland
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
- University of the Mediterranean, France
- University of Minnesota, USA
- University of Paris-Sud XI, Orsay, France
- University of Pennsylvania, Institute for Research in Cognitive Science, USA
- Tokyo University, Japan
- Waseda University, Japan
Mayo, A. M., Wade, M. G., & Stoffregen, T. A. (2011). Postural effects of the horizon on land and at sea. Psychological Science, 22, 118-124.
Stoffregen, T. A., Yoshida, K., Villard, S., Scibora, L., & Bardy, B. G. (2010). Stance width influences postural stability and motion sickness. Ecological Psychology, 22, 169-191.
Faugloire, E., Stoffregen, T. A., & Bardy, B. G. (2009). (De)Stabilization of required and spontaneous postural dynamics with learning. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception & Performance, 35, 170-187.
Stoffregen, T. A., Villard, S., Kim, C., Ito, K., & Bardy, B. G. (2009). Coupling of head and body movement with motion of the audible environment. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception & Performance, 35, 1221-1231.
Bardy, B. G., Oullier, O., Bootsma, R. J., & Stoffregen, T. A. (2002). The dynamics of human postural transitions. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception & Performance, 28, 499-514.
Stoffregen, T. A., & Bardy, B. G. (2001). On specification and the senses. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 24, 195-261.
Stoffregen, T. A., & Riccio, G. E. (1988). An ecological theory of orientation and the vestibular system. Psychological Review, 95, 3-14.
Stoffregen, T. A. (2011, July). How Plato is used to brainwash helpless toddlers. Talk presented at the XVI International Conference on Perception and Action, Ouro Preto, Brazil.
Stoffregen, T. A. (2011, April). Postural prediction of motion sickness. Talk given at the 8th Symposium on the Role of the Vestibular Organs in Space Exploration, Houston TX.
Stoffregen, T. A. (2010, November). Getting your sea legs: Body posture and visual performance at sea. Talk presented at the University of Washington School of Oceanography, Seattle.
Stoffregen, T. A., Yu, Y., & Wade, M. G. (2010, August). Posture and visual performance in rough seas. Talk presented at Human Performance at Sea, Glasgow Scotland.
Stoffregen, T. A. (2010, July). Postural effects of the horizon on land and at sea. Talk presented at Tokyo University, Japan.
Yu, Y., & Stoffregen (2009, July). Locomotor and postural contributions to affordance perception. Talk presented at the XV International Conference on Perception and Action, Minneapolis.
Stoffregen, T. A. (2009, March). Postural instability and motion sickness. Talk presented at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
Stoffregen, T. A., & Yu, Y. (2008, December). Postural stabilization of visual performance. Talk presented at the University of Tasmania, Hobart, Australia.