Frequently asked questions about graduate admissions
What is needed to apply?

Prospective students must apply to Graduate School Admissions. The application must be completed online and the fee ($75 for permanent U.S. residents, $95 for international students) paid by credit card. The School of Kinesiology requires a completed application, GRE scores, copies of unofficial transcripts transcripts, three letters of recommendation, and a scholarly writing sample. All School of Kinesiology application materials are uploaded to the Apply Yourself application and must be submitted by December 1 for the following fall semester.

What should I do to be readmitted into the graduate program?

M.S., M.A. and Ph.D. students need to do two things:

1) Contact your faculty adviser, and
2) Fill out a Change of Status/Readmission Application, online (which includes a $75 fee).

What happens if my application is incomplete?

An incomplete application will not be processed until all application material, including the application fee, have been received. IF your GRE scores will not be available by the application deadline, please contact Nina Wang. Please also make sure your recommenders submit their letter of recommendation before the application deadline.

What are the deadlines for application and financial aid?

M.S./M.A./Ph.D. students:
The deadline for priority applicants for the following fall semester is December 1. The graduate assistantship applications are also due at this time. Late applicants must exhibit exceptional credentials and are subject to adviser availability.

M.Ed. students:
The deadline for applicants for the following fall semester is July 1; for spring semester, November 1; or summer semester, March 1.

What are my chances of getting an assistantship?

(For M.S./M.A./Ph.D. students only)
Assistantships in the department are competitive and the number of assistantships given each year is limited. Your chances for getting an assistantship vary from year to year depending on availability and funding. Applicants must not assume that they will be awarded an assistantship automatically if they are accepted into the program. For admitted students, please contact your future faculty adviser directly.

Should I apply for an M.S./M.A. or an M.Ed.? What is the difference?

There are a number of differences between the M.S./M.A. program and the M.Ed. All master's programs are designed to educate students in their chosen degree path and prepare them for professional or academic work. For more information to help you decide which is the right master's program for you, click here.

Should I contact the professor I am interested in working with?

Applicants should contact the professor that they are interested in working with even before applying online. It helps facilitate the application process and familiarizes the professor with you and your interests.

When will I hear a response?

Applicants who apply by the due date (December 1) should receive an admissions decision in January or February. Assistantship applicants will find out if they received an assistantship no later than mid-April.
If you are a potential M.S./M.A. or Ph.D. student and have not received a response by late March, you should contact the Kinesiology Graduate Studies Office.

How do I find information about taking the GRE?

Information, descriptions of the GRE, test dates, registration, and test center locations can be found here.

How do I register for classes?

Students first need to consult their adviser (M.S./M.A./Ph.D. faculty adviser, M.Ed. adviser) to determine what classes are required or recommended. Students should keep in mind that some classes are offered only in the fall or spring semester, and should plan accordingly. After consulting with their adviser, students should go to MyU to register. Instructions can be found here.