Ph.D.in OLPD: Higher Education Program Curriculum
Departmental Core (16 credits)
Professional Socialization Seminar
- OLPD 8011—Doctoral Research SeminarI (1 cr) [Take Fall term of first year]
Research Design and Methods
- OLPD 8015—Inquiry Strategies in Educational and Organizational Research (3 cr) [Take Spring term of first year]
- Quantitative course (3 cr inside or outside of department; with approval of adviser)
- Qualitative course (3 cr inside or outside of department; with approval of adviser)
- Additional methods course (6 cr; with approval of adviser)
HE Program Core (12 credits)
- OLPD 5701—U.S. Higher Education (3 cr)
- OLPD 5704—College Students Today (3 cr)
- OLPD 8702—Administration and Leadership in Higher Education (3 cr)
- OLPD 8703—Public Policy in Higher Education (3 cr)
HE Electives (9 credits)
- 9 credits focused on issues relevant to the HE track with adviser approval.
Additional Coursework (11 credits minimum)
Minimum of 11 credits required. These credits can be used to meet the requirement that a minimum of 12 credits be taken outside the HE track or for a minor. Courses not specifically listed should have adviser approval.
Thesis Credits (24 credits)
All Ph.D. students are required to register for 24 semester thesis credits after completing the preliminary oral exam. The 24 credits must be taken over two or more terms.
- OLPD 8888—Thesis Credits: Doctoral
Total Ph.D. Credits Required
48 credits of HE coursework + 24 thesis credits = 72 total credits
Revised August 19, 2016