Program Evaluation certificate
In recent years, the demand for trained professionals in program evaluation has steadily increased. New tools in data collection and trends in accountability have created a need for well-designed program evaluations in funding agencies, non-profit organizations, and throughout the private sector. Our certificate in program evaluation prepares you to lead program evaluation efforts. You will learn applied methods, techniques, and processes, and how evaluation fits into larger economic, social, and political contexts.
Students must complete at least 12 semester credits. The core curriculum consists of coursework in three areas: foundations of evaluation, evaluation theory, and internship experiences.
The curriculum includes 8-9 credits of required coursework and 3-4 credits of elective coursework; coursework must total at least 12 credits. Students with sufficient background and previous course experience may apply for a waiver of content requirements.
Required coursework (8-9 credits)
Foundations of evaluation
Take one course from the following:
- OLPD 5501—Principles and Methods of Evaluation (3 cr)
- PA 5311—Program Evaluation (3 cr)
- PUBH 6852—Program Evaluation in Health and Mental Health Settings (2 cr)
- SW 8603—Program Evaluation (2 cr)
- OLPD 5502—Theory and Models of Evaluation (3 cr)
OR OLPD 8502—Program Evaluation Theory and Models: Qualitative and Quantitative Alternatives (3 cr)
Internship in evaluation
- OLPD 8596—Evaluation Internship (1-9 cr) [Only 3 credits of this course can count towards this certificate.]
Elective coursework (3-4 credits)
Students may choose 3-4 credits of elective coursework from the following list to meet the overall program minimum of 12 credits. Additional courses may be approved by the program coordinator of evaluation studies.
- CI 8148—Conducting Qualitative Studies in Educational Contexts (3 cr)
- CI 8914—Critical Science Research (3 cr)
- EPSY 5221—Principles of Educational and Psychological Measurement (3 cr)
- EPSY 5244—Survey Design, Sampling, and Implementation (3 cr)
- FSOS 8013—Qualitative Family Research Methods (3 cr)
- OLPD 5056—Case Studies for Policy Research (3 cr)
- OLPD 5061—Ethnographic Research Methods (3 cr)
- OLPD 5521—Cost and Economic Analysis in Educational Evaluation (3 cr)
- OLPD 8595—Evaluation Problems (1-6 cr)
- PUBH 6724—The Health Care System and Public Health (3 cr)
- SW 8602—Direct Practice Evaluation (2 cr)