Professor; Director of Undergraduate Studies
Ph.D. and MBA, University of Minnesota
Ph.D., Moscow State University
Org Leadership, Policy/Dev
Room 310E WullH
86 Pleasant St S E
Areas of Interest
International human resource development
Organizational learning and knowledge management
HRD, business ethics, and CSR
My past research includes studies in international human resource development, entrepreneurship, knowledge management, and organizational culture. Examples of my empirical research include: a series of quantitative studies linking leadership styles and cultural values of managers and employees in the U.S., Western and Eastern Europe, and the former Soviet Union; qualitative and quantitative studies of the meaning of working in Russia, Germany, and Poland; a longitudinal study of human resource practices and organization development in entrepreneurial firms in the USA; a series of studies of knowledge generation and sharing in a U.S.-based multinational corporation. My most recent area of interest is the research on the interplay of business ethics, Corporate Social Responsibility, and organizational and national cultures. I am working on related projects with a group of colleagues from the Center for Ethical Business Cultures, and several foreign universities. Our related research was published in the Journal of Business Ethics, Human Resource Development International, and the Human Resource Development Review.
Much of my research is done in international settings and involves cross-cultural comparisons. I speak several languages, have traveled to numerous countries of the world, have done research and consulting in Europe, Latin America, and Asia, and have taught numerous graduate courses in foreign countries. In the U.S., I have done consulting or applied research at large business organizations (among them Caterpillar, Honeywell, the Carlson Companies, ADM, ADC, and Target), and numerous smaller businesses and non-profits.
Honors and Recognitions
- Highly Commended Paper award, the 15th International HRD Conference in Europe, Edinburgh, UK (2014)
- Shortlisted, Alan Moon Memorial Prize for the best paper at the 15th International HRD Conference in Europe, Edinburgh, UK (2014)
- The University of Minnesota Council of Graduate Students Outstanding Faculty Award (2013)
- Outstanding Paper Award Winner (for best research paper in the European Journal of Training and Development), the Literati Network Awards for Excellence, UK (2013)
- Cutting Edge Research Award, AHRD, Annual AHRD Conference (2012)
- Outstanding Graduate Instructor Award, the University of Sao Paulo, School of Accountancy and Economics, Sao Paulo, Brazil (2012)
- Highly Commended Paper award, the 12th International HRD Conference in Europe, University of Gloucestershire, Cheltenham, UK (2011)
- Shortlisted, Alan Moon Memorial Prize for the best paper at the 10th International HRD Conference in Europe, The University Forum for HRD, UK (2009)
- Award for Excellence, Best Research Paper in the Journal of Knowledge Management, Literati Club, UK (2004)
- Monica M. Lee Research Excellence Award for Best Paper in Human Resource Development International, Academy of Human Resource Development (2003)
- Human Resource Development Review Outstanding Article of the Year Award, Academy of Human Resource Development (2002)
- Outstanding Assistant Professor Award, the University Council for Workforce and Human Resource Education (2001)
- The Academy of Human Resource Development Richard A. Swanson Award for Research Excellence for Best Article in the Human Resource Development Quarterly (2001)
- The UIUC Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students (for each semester in years 2000 to 2004; “Outstanding” rankings for Spring 2000 and 2001; Spring, Summer, and Fall 2002; Summer 2003, Fall 2003 and Spring 2004)
- Best Paper Award, AMA Annual Symposium on the Marketing/ Entrepreneurship Interface, Stockholm, Sweden (1996)
- Best Case Study Award, Competition for scholars from the USSR and Eastern Europe, the European Foundation for Entrepreneurship Research, Berlin (1990)
Current Professional Affiliations
- President-Elect, University Council for Workforce and Human Resource Education (UCWHRE)
- Editor-In-Chief, Human Resource Development International
- Fellow, Center for Ethical Business Cultures
- Editorial Board member, The European Journal of Training and Development
Recent Grant Activity
- Global and local strategies and practices of developing human resources in innovation-intensive companies, Russian Ministry of Science and Technology, Co-investigator (PI – Professor Elena Zavyalova, St. Petersburg State University), $60,000 (2012-2013)
- Development of Artificial Intelligence Agents for Teaching Accounting Professionals. (AGENTES NÃO BIOLÓGICOS DE ENSINO: CARACTERÍSTICAS E APLICAÇÕES NA ÁREA DE CONTABILIDADE). Co-Investigator, a seed grant from the Brazilian Ministry of Science and Technology (MINISTÉRIO DA CIÊNCIA E TECNOLOGIA), National Council on Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq). PI: Professor Edgard Cornacchoine, University of Sao Paulo). $50,000 (2013-2015)
- The US Department of Education FIPSE/Brazil grant: “Global Talent Development for Sustainable Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Fields,” Co-Principal Investigator and US project site Director (2008-2012). Total grant award: $500,000.
Jondle, D, Ardichvili, A., & Mitchell, J. (2013). Modeling ethical business culture: Development of the ethical business culture survey and its use to validate the CEBC model of ethical business culture. Journal of Business Ethics. Online First, doi: 10.1007/s10551-012-1601-2.
Ardichvili, A. (2012). Sustainability or limitless expansion: paradigm shift in HRD practice and teaching. European Journal of Training and Development, 36(9), 873-887.
Ardichvili, A., Jondle, D., & Kowske, B. (2012). Minding the gap: Exploring differences in perceptions of ethical business cultures between executives, mid-level managers and non-managers. Human Resource Development International, 15(3), 337-352. DOI:10.1080/13678868.2012.687625
Ardichvili, A., Jondle, D., Kowske, B., Cornachione, E., Li, J., & Thakadipuram, T. (2012). Ethical cultures in large business organizations in Brazil, Russia, India, and China. Journal of Business Ethics, 105(4), 415-428. DOI: 10.1007/s10551-011-0976-9.
Ardichvili, A., Jondle, D., & Kowske, B. (2010). Dimensions of ethical business cultures: Comparing data from 13 countries of Europe, Asia, and the Americas. Human Resource Development International, 13(3), 299–315.
Ardichvili, A., Jondle, D., & Mitchell, J. (2009). Characteristics of ethical business cultures. Journal of Business Ethics, 85(4), 445-452.
Ardichvili, A. (2008). Learning and knowledge sharing in virtual communities of practice: Motivators, barriers and enablers. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 10(4), 541-554.
Ardichvili, A., & Manderscheid, S. (2008). Emerging practices in leadership development: An introduction. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 10(5), 619-631.
Ardichvili, A., Maurer, M., Li, W., Wentling, T., & Stuedemann, R. (2006). Cultural influences on knowledge sharing through online communities of practice. Journal of Knowledge Management, 10(1), 94-107.
Ardichvili, A. (2005). The meaning of working and professional development needs of employees in a post-communist country. International Journal of Cross-Cultural Management, 5(1), 105-119.
Ardichvili, A., Cardozo, R., & Ray, S. (2003). A theory of entrepreneurial opportunity identification and development. Journal of Business Venturing, 18(1), 105-123.
Ardichvili, A., Page, V, & Wentling, T. (2003). Motivation and barriers to participation in virtual knowledge sharing teams. Journal of Knowledge Management, 7(1), 64-77.
Ardichvili, A., & Gasparishvili, A. (2003). Russian and Georgian entrepreneurs and non-entrepreneurs: A study of value differences. Organization Studies, 24(1), 29-46.
Ardichvili, A. (2003). Constructing socially situated learning experiences in human resource education: An application of the Vygotskian activity theory. Human Resource Development International, 6(1), 5-20. (Winner of the Monica E. Lee research excellence award)
Ardichvili, A., & Kuchinke, P. (2002). The concept of culture in international and comparative HRD research: Methodological problems and possible solutions. Human Resource Development Review, 1(2), 145-166. (Winner of the AHRD best article award).
Ardichvili, A. (2001). Leadership styles and work-related values of managers and employees of manufacturing enterprises in post-communist countries. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 12(4), 363-383. (Winner of the AHRD best article award).
Updated July 2014