Postsecondary Teaching & Learning
315 Burton Hall
178 Pillsbury Dr S E
B.A. psychology, Morehouse College
M.A., educational psychology, University of Minnesota
Ph.D., school psychology, University of Minnesota
- PsTL 1281: Principles of Psychology
- PsTL 1289: Psychology and Self: Developing Identities
- PsTL 1525: First-Year Inquiry: Multidisciplinary Ways of Knowing
- PsTL 1902: Psycho-social Examination of Hip Hop Culture
- My research uses social disorganization theory, social capital theory and the concept of cultural capital to explain educational disparities in general and the achievement gap in particular.
- I am particularly interested in the connection of the African American experience with educational outcomes from middle school to professoriate.
Madyun, N. (2011). Connecting social disorganization theory to African American outcomes to explain the achievement gap. Journal of Educational Foundations.
Madyun, N. & Lee, M. (2010). Effects of religious involvement on parent-child communication regarding schooling: A Study of Black youth in the United States. Journal of Negro Education, 79(3), 295-307.
Madyun, N. & Lee, M (2010). Examining the Effect of Single-Parent Households in the Neighborhood Context on Academic Achievement. Urban Education,45 (4), 424 – 447.
Madyun, N. & Lee, M.(2010).Neighborhood Ethnic Density as an Explanation for the Academic Achievement of Ethnic Minority Youth Placed in Neighborhood Disadvantage. Berkeley Review of Education, 1(1),87-112.
Madyun, N., Lee, M., & Mustafa, J. (2010, April). A Social Network Analysis of Acting White: A Case Study of Somali Immigrant Adolescents.American Educational Research Conference: Denver, CO.