CEHD America Reads | Home
News & Highlights
America Reads highlighted on CEHD Undergrad Experience blog
The CEHD Undergad Experience blog posted an article about America Reads, with some cool photos too! Check it out at http://z.umn.edu/i65. For other interesting features, go to the CEHD Undergrad Experience blog or like the facebook page.
The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities America Reads program is a collaborative effort between the College of Education and Human Development, the Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence, and the University YMCA in partnership with Minneapolis and St. Paul schools and community organizations.
The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities America Reads program is dedicated to increasing the literacy skills of Kindergarten - 8th grade students, supporting the educational efforts of our community partners, and together fostering the academic, personal, and career development of students and University of Minnesota literacy mentors.
To positively impact students by teaching them lifelong learning skills and cultivating interest in secondary and higher education. To develop relationships between America Reads and the Twin Cities community, creating positive outcomes in literacy and beyond.
The University of MN-Twin Cities America Reads program will:
- Promote literacy skills and positive reading habits of students through one-on-one and small group tutoring using research-based best practices.
- Offer consistent, accountable role models for students and encourage positive attitudes toward lifelong learning.
- Support literacy mentors’ learning through ongoing training and reflection within the America Reads community.
- Provide an opportunity for literacy mentors to develop a sense of social responsibility and experience the value of civic engagement through off-campus involvement.
- Engage literacy mentors in cross-cultural work.
- Prepare literacy mentors with 21st century job and professional skills.
CEHD America Reads
130 Peik Hall
159 Pillsbury Drive SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Assoc. Director of Operations
- Chapters at U of M
- Current Sites
- Become a Literacy Mentor
- Resources for Literacy Mentors
- Events Calendar