M.S.W. Field Instruction
The signature pedagogy of our program, M.S.W. Field Instruction (referred to as “Field” for short) is a professional placement where you apply classroom knowledge in a practice setting. Gain confidence as you demonstrate competence in what you’ve learned. Field is also an academic course with assignments and requirements.
MJ Gilbert, Director of M.S.W. Field Instruction, spoke to students at Field Fair Orientation..
About Field Instruction
As part of Field, you are paired with a field liaison. The liaison teaches your field seminar course, works as your adviser, and as a mediator/go-between for you and the agency in which you are placed.
Academic year placements typically are from September through April/May, requiring 14-20 hours per week, depending on placement. Summer placements require 35-40 hours per week for 12 to 15 weeks.
Foundation Placement: (420 hours) is completed only by M.S.W. students in the Full Program.
- Concentration Placement: (600 hours) is completed by M.S.W. students in both the Full and Advanced Standing Programs.
2018 Field Fair
The M.S.W. Field Fair happens each spring, preparing M.S.W. students for fall internships. Students meet representatives from local agencies and arrange for internships interviews.
Forms & Documents
- Instructions for Completing Learning Contracts [PDF]
- Suggestions for Interviewing [PDF]
- Application for Developing a New Field Placement [PDF]
- Application for Internship at Place of Employment [PDF]
- Field Practicum Application - For international and out of state students who cannot attend Field Fair [Word 97]
For Agency/Field Instructors
- Agency Selection of Student [Word 97]
- Field Instructor Contract Form [Word 97]
- Weekly Supervision Form [Word 97]
If your agency is interested in becoming a field internship site, please contact our field program coordinator.
Sample Field Documents
- Field Manual [PDF]
Additional handbooks, manuals, forms, and guidelines related to the M.S.W. can be found on the bottom of the M.S.W. program page.