- 10-week summer research apprenticeships with a University faculty mentor whose research interests match those of the McNair student.
- Summer stipend of $3,000. Additional $500 during the academic year.
- Weekly seminars on study strategies for graduate school and graduate entrance exam preparation.
- Year-round seminars and advising services focus on:
- Careers requiring graduate education
- Successful selection and application to graduate school
- Financing graduate studies
- Preparing a successful undergraduate research project proposal
- Introduction to discipline-specific research and research writing skills, and
ethical issues in research
McNair Scholars graduate profile
*Scholars may be counted more than once, i.e. some earned masters and went on to earn doctorate.
- 47 students are still undergraduates.
- 198 students entered graduate school.
- 120 students earned M.A. degrees.
- 28 students earned professional degrees.
- 22 students earned doctorate degrees.
- 27 are currently enrolled in doctorate programs.
- 88 students are still enrolled in graduate school.
- 14 scholars are participating in post baccalaureate fellowships and/or other fellowship like activities and are expected to matriculate to graduate school.
McNair Scholars is a
TRIO program funded by the United States Department of Education with support
from the University of Minnesota College of Education and Human Development, the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and the Office of the Vice President for Diversity and Equity.