Apply to be a McNair Scholar
The goal of McNair Scholars is to give undergraduate students intensive, faculty-driven research experiences and prepare students for entry into and success in graduate school.
Through a 10-week summer research program combined with academic year programming and advising, McNair Scholars will:
- Work with a University faculty mentor with similar research interests
- Receive a $3,500 stipend
- Learn how to develop a quality research paper
- Receive help with the graduate school application process (i.e. identify graduate programs, write a personal statement, and create a curriculum vitae)
- Present research at poster sessions
- And most importantly, develop a great relationship with a professor, which can be an invaluable asset in getting admitted to graduate school
- The U of M McNair program is open to all Twin Cities students in all colleges and majors, U of M coordinate campuses (Crookston, Duluth, Morris, Rochester), and Minnesota colleges and universities that do not have their own McNair program: Carleton College, Hamline University, Macalester College, Metropolitan State University, Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota, St. Catherine University, St. John’s University, and University of St. Thomas.
- First-generation college student and income eligbile, or from an underrepresented group
- GPA of 2.75 and above
- Full-time sophomore or junior and a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident
- Students with a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) focus are highly encouraged to apply, as are student veterans.
Strong applicants demonstrate
- Strong academic performance in major courses
- Recommendation from faculty
- Strong writing skills, as demonstrated through writing samples and/or faculty recommendation
- Frequently asked questions about eligibility and applying
How To Apply
The McNair program is accepting applications for the 2017 summer cohort. The priority deadline is January 23, 2017. Early application submissions are encouraged. Rolling admissions begin after the priority deadline.
Pick up an application from 40 Education Sciences Building, 8:30-4:00, Monday-Friday. Please ask if a McNair staff member is available, as we will be happy to meet with you.
If you are not on the University of Minnesota campus, please contact Anthony Albecker, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we are intentional about not providing our application online in order to discuss program questions and the application process in-person or by phone. Through these discussions we can provide tips on applying, including writing a strong personal statement and requesting faculty recommendations. In addition, we can ensure that prospective scholars meet eligibility requirements.
For more information, contact Anthony Albecker, email@example.com.
Thank you for your time and interest. We look forward to receiving your application.
TRIO McNair Scholars on Facebook: Keep updated about events, networking opportunities, and student and alumni news.
Are you a McNair Scholar from another institution and interested in graduate study at the University of MN? The Office for Diversity in Graduate Education has resources for you!