Apply to be a McNair Scholar
The goal of McNair Scholars is to give undergraduate students intensive, faculty-driven research experiences and prepare students for entry into and success in graduate school.
Through a 10-week summer research program, McNair Scholars will:
- Work with a University faculty mentor with similar research interests
- Receive a $3,000.00 stipend
- Learn how to develop a quality research paper
- Receive help with the graduate school application process (i.e. identify graduate programs, write a personal statement, and create a curriculum vitae)
- Present research at poster sessions
- And most importantly, develop a great relationship with a professor, which can be an invaluable asset in getting admitted to graduate school
First-generation college student and low income, or from an underrepresented group, and a GPA of 2.75 and above. You must be a full time sophomore or junior and a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident. Students with a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) focus are strongly encouraged to apply to the McNair Scholars Program, as are student veterans.
How To Apply
The McNair program is still accepting applications for the 2014 summer cohort. You are encouraged to apply by the end of February for full consideration.
Pick up an application from 40 Education Sciences Building, 8:30-4:30, Monday-Friday. Please ask if a McNair staff member is available, as we will be happy to meet with you.
Please note that we are intentional about not providing our application online in order to discuss program questions and the application process in-person or by phone. Through these discussions we can provide tips on applying, including writing a strong personal statement and requesting faculty recommendations. In addition, we can ensure that prospective scholars meet eligibility requirements.
Thank you for your time and interest. We look forward to receiving your application.
TRIO McNair Scholars on Facebook: Keep updated about events, networking opportunities, and student and alumni news.
Are you a McNair Scholar from another institution and interested in graduate study at the University of MN? The Office for Diversity in Graduate Education has resources for you!