Apply to be a McNair Scholar
The goal of McNair Scholars is to give undergraduate students intensive, faculty-driven research experiences and prepare students for entry into and success in graduate school.
Through a 10-week summer research program combined with academic year programming and advising, McNair Scholars will:
- Work with a University faculty mentor with similar research interests
- Receive a $3,500 stipend
- Learn how to develop a quality research paper
- Receive help with the graduate school application process (i.e. identify graduate programs, write a personal statement, and create a curriculum vitae)
- Present research at poster sessions
- And most importantly, develop a great relationship with a professor, which can be an invaluable asset in getting admitted to graduate school
- The U of M McNair program is open to all Twin Cities students in all colleges and majors, U of M coordinate campuses (Crookston, Duluth, Morris, Rochester), and Minnesota colleges and universities that do not have their own McNair program: Carleton College, Hamline University, Macalester College, Metropolitan State University, Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota, St. Catherine University, St. John’s University, and University of St. Thomas.
- First-generation college student and income eligbile, or from an underrepresented group
- GPA of 2.75 and above
- Full-time sophomore or junior and a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident
- Students with a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) focus are highly encouraged to apply, as are student veterans.
Strong applicants demonstrate
- Strong academic performance in major courses
- Recommendation from faculty
- Strong writing skills, as demonstrated through writing samples and/or faculty recommendation
- Frequently asked questions about eligibility and applying
How To Apply
While the priority deadline has passed, the McNair program is still accepting applications for the summer 2017 cohort on a rolling basis.
Pick up an application from 40 Education Sciences Building, 8:30-4:00, Monday-Friday. Please ask if a McNair staff member is available, as we will be happy to meet with you.
If you are not on the University of Minnesota campus, please contact Anthony Albecker, email@example.com.
Please note that we are intentional about not providing our application online in order to discuss program questions and the application process in-person or by phone. Through these discussions we can provide tips on applying, including writing a strong personal statement and requesting faculty recommendations. In addition, we can ensure that prospective scholars meet eligibility requirements.
For more information, contact Anthony Albecker, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your time and interest. We look forward to receiving your application.
TRIO McNair Scholars on Facebook: Keep updated about events, networking opportunities, and student and alumni news.
Are you a McNair Scholar from another institution and interested in graduate study at the University of MN? The Office for Diversity in Graduate Education has resources for you!