Minnesota I have a dream scholarship
College is expensive, and that’s why the “I Have a Dream” scholarship program is a vital and unique part of TRIO Upward Bound at the University of Minnesota. This scholarship is awarded to all TRIO UB students who meet income eligibility requirements at the start of the program and meet performance benchmarks during the program. While in high school, you can earn up to $4,000 in scholarship funds for college. While in college, successful Dream Scholars receive $1,000 per year until the funds are used up. If you major in a STEAM field, your earned scholarship award funds double; that's a potential $8,000 to help you finance your college education. This scholarship can be used wherever you enroll.
Once you are admitted to TRIO UB, you and your parents will learn more about the scholarship program and your opportunity to earn money for college at the TRIO UB New Student Orientation.
The “I Have a Dream” scholarship was established by Twin Cities businessman Bill Lahr and his wife Karen Sternal in 1989. They were inspired by a similar program in New York, and the scholarship takes its name from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s 1963 speech at the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. A total of 460 Dream Scholarships have been awarded since the program was established. Read “Legacy of a Dream” for more about the scholarship program and its recipients.
High School Eligibility Requirements
- TRIO UB Academic Year Program components and Individual Study, if required
- TRIO UB Summer Academic & Residential Program including an approved bridge program, or an approved UB Regional Math & Science program
- Other required summer initiatives such as the Outward Bound Wilderness Excursion or College Tour, based on class year
Information for TRIO UB Alumni/Dream Scholars
- 2015 Dream Scholarship recipients [PDF]
- Frequently Asked Questions [PDF]
- Complete an entire academic year of full-time enrollment in college
- Maintain a minimum per semester and cumulative GPA of 2.5
- You have six years from high school graduation to use the scholarship funds
- Alumni survey and Bridge 2016 survey.
- Submit your complete official college transcript to
TRIO Upward Bound by June 1, 2014, to:
TRIO Upward Bound
Attn: I Have A Dream Scholarship
40 Education Sciences Building
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455
Contact scholarship coordinator Elizabeth Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-624-0865.