- Students of all ages
- Narrative texts
- Activate prior knowledge
- Set purpose for reading
- Monitor comprehension
- Divide the reading material into 2-3 page segments appropriate for the students' reading level.
- Tell the students the purpose of the strategy they are using.
- Students preview the material in the first segment by looking at pictures, other graphic aids, and reading titles and headings.
- The students predict the content of the segment.
- Write or have students write their predictions on the board or chart.
- Students read the segment and stop at the point designated by the teacher.
- Discuss whether their predictions were confirmed.
- Ask the students to support their ideas
and explain their reasoning using the
information in the text and their prior
(Repeat steps 3 – 8 for each segment.)
- Discuss the story in relation to other stories, their personal experiences, and the author's purpose.
- Discuss the strategies used to understand the story.