The internship search
Find your focus
Be clear about your goals and what you would like to
get out of an internship. Some questions to ask yourself:
- What type of experience are you
hoping to have?
- Do you want to receive
credit or funding? Many CEHD majors require an internship or field experience as part of your degree requirements for graduation. Connect with your major adviser to determine their specific requirements.
- What skills would you like to
- What career fields or industries
- What type of organization is a good
fit? (government, for-profit,
non-profit, education, large, small)
Learn how to research careers.
Create an effective resume, cover letter, and portfolio
Having good marketing materials (resume, cover letter,
and portfolio) is essential to a successful internship
search. Begin creating your materials early!
- Write a draft of your resume and
- Have your materials reviewed by a
Find internship opportunities
- Apply to on-campus interviews through GoldPASS
- Attend CEHD career events & campus job fairs.
- Create a list of organizations you
would like to intern with and contact
them directly. Many internship positions
are not advertised.
- Talk to people.
Networking is the best way to learn
about unadvertised opportunities.
- Create your own internship with an
organization that does not have a
current internship program.
- View the online
job and internship
Prepare for the interview