As you explore teaching opportunities out of state, here are some tips to ease the transition.
Teacher job search tips
- Determine your specific geographic region(s)/state(s).
- Review CEHD’s
Applying for Teacher Licensure web page and click on “License Outside of Minnesota.”
- Find your chosen state(s) Department of Education website.
- Learn how to obtain an out of state teaching license for that state (each state's requirements differ).
- What is the process for transferring my certification to this state?
- What documentation is required?
- How long will the process take?
- Find maps with listings of the schools in that area – public, charter, and private.
- Once you select your school(s)/district(s), use their website to research.
- The school “report card”
- School improvement plans
- Click on “For Parents” section in addition to “For Educator” section, as this section can often provide more detailed information.
- Review national
job search sites for educators.
Network to connect with educators in your chosen state(s).
- Set up
informational interviews to learn more about employment in that area.
- Attend the
Minnesota Education Job Fair. Many out of state school districts attend this local career fair.
- Search for regional job fairs in your chosen area.