Graduate Certificate Program Admissions
- Dates and deadlines
- Required documents
- International applicants
- Earn your M.Ed.
- Financial aid
- Talk to an Advisor
What we look for
Candidates that have already achieved an undergraduate degree that wish to further their professional practice in education in a specific subject area that will advance their skills and professional development.
Dates and Deadlines
- December 15 (spring start). Earlier application is advised for spring semester.
- April 30 (summer start)
- July 31 (fall start)
Required application documents
Even if you are a currently enrolled student, you must apply to earn a certificate. We also require a bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution or foreign equivalent with at least a 2.8 GPA.
To apply you will need:
- Unofficial transcripts. Upload your transcripts into the application system; please do not mail your transcripts. Official transcripts are required only after you are admitted.
- Resume. Upload in the Program Supplementary Information - Graduate Program Additional Application section.
- Statement of purpose. Explain the relationship of courses and research to your professional goals. (Recommended length: two pages).
This program does not support VISA requirements; if you need a VISA, please view our Master of Education degree option instead.
International applicants may also need:
- An English translation of your transcripts, if the transcript is not in English. A course by course evaluation may be required.
- TOEFL scores. Official TOEFL scores are required. You may qualify for an exception if you have completed 16 semester or 24 quarter credits within the past 24 months in residence as a full-time student at an accredited institution of higher learning in the United States.
Apply for an M.Ed. Degree
You can pursue the certificate alone or pursue the certificate and M.Ed. degree in the same program area concurrently. If interested, apply to both programs. Application information for M.Ed. degree.
Tuition varies depending on your degree program, student status, and residency. If you are seeking only the certificate, you pay the CE+HD departmental master's tuition rate. More cost information is on the CE+HD site.
Certificate-only students are not eligible for financial aid.
How to Apply
Before applying online , go through the application checklist to ensure you have all the required materials. We are here to help! If you have questions, please contact the academic advisor in your program area. We also requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution or foreign equivalent with at least a 2.8 GPA.
Talk to an Advisor
Critical Writing Certificate, Michelle McElroy
Advanced Second Language Teaching Certificate, Michelle McElroy
Dual Language and Immersion Certificate, Diane J. Tedick
ESL-TESL Certificate, Saem Heo
Download and refer to this tip sheet as you work through the application. The included directions will help you complete your application quickly and smoothly.