How to apply
We give preference to scholars and researchers who have earned their doctoral degree. We occasionally grant permission to advanced graduate students from other institutions pursuing dissertation research.
View information and resources for international visiting scholars.
Steps to apply:
- Identify an academic contact within the department whose work relates to your research interests.
- Write a letter of inquiry to your chosen faculty member. (Please contact only one faculty member).
The inquiry letter should include:
If the faculty member is willing to host you, they must contact the department chair for approval.
If approved, the deparment chair will send you a letter of invitation after the application has been received, reviewed, and approved. This process may take two to three weeks.
- The outline of your proposed research
- An explanation of why our department and/or your chosen academic contact is the best fit for your proposed research
- The requested period for your visit
- Your CV/resume
Required documents, pre-arrival
- A letter indicating home institution approval of leave
- A signed letter agreeing to self-funding for your time at the University of Minnesota with financial resources outside the University of Minnesota, and financial responsibility for visa processing fees, if a visa is needed
- Proof of health insurance individually, and for any accompanying family members for the duration of the agreed upon time period (options available through University of Minnesota).
- J-1 Visa Information for international scholars.