Pronouns: he, him, his
Ph.D., Vanderbilt University
M.A., Brooklyn College
B.A., Pomona College
Areas of Interest
language and literacy, ESL, bilingual education, CLD students in mainstream classrooms, translingual pedagogy, culturally responsive pedagogy, teacher learning, educational equity
Sam David is an assistant professor of Second Language Education in the College of Education and Human Development at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. He recently completed his doctoral work at Vanderbilt University, focusing on the literacy development of culturally and linguistically diverse students in mainstream classrooms, and on teacher learning of translingual and culturally responsive pedagogies. In 2015, Sam and his coauthors received the Alan C. Purves Award from the National Council of Teachers of English, an award given annually for an article published in Research in the Teaching of English judged as "likely to have the greatest impact on educational practice." He has presented at local, national, and international conferences in the areas of literacy research, bilingual education, and applied linguistics. Prior to pursuing a doctorate, Sam worked as a Spanish-English bilingual special education teacher in elementary and middle grades in Brooklyn, NY.
Alan C. Purves Award, National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE). 2015
CUNY/Americorps Education Award. 2009
CUNY/Americorps Education Award. 2006
- AERA, American Educational Research Association
- LRA, Literacy Research Association
- NABE, National Association for Bilingual Education
- NAME, National Association for Multicultural Education
- ILA, International Linguistics Association
- TRANSLATE (Teaching Reading And New Strategic Language Approach To Emergent bilinguals), project will run three years and yield findings in late 2021. Sponsored by the Spencer Foundation.
- SLATE (Strategic Language Approaches for Teachers of English learners), Robert T. Jiménez, PI, June 2012. Sponsored by the Peabody Small Faculty Research Grant
Vanderbilt University - “Reading curriculum for immigrant children funded by Spencer Foundation," Nov 30, 2018
David, S., Pacheco, M., Jiménez, R.T. (2019). Designing translingual pedagogies: exploring collaborative translation through a classroom teaching experiment. Curriculum & Instruction 37(2), 252-275.