Educational Psychology

Skip to main content

Psychological foundations/quantitative methods in education: funding information

Sources of support administered by the department are teaching assistantships, research assistantships available through funded projects sponsored by department faculty, and fellowships supported by the Graduate School. The department also nominates promising students for University-wide fellowship competition provided by the Graduate School. Underrepresented and educationally disadvantaged students are eligible to be nominated for special fellowships. Stipends and conditions vary for different forms of support. Students who wish to be considered for fellowships and departmental financial assistance must submit all application materials to the program and the Graduate School by December 1st. Prospective students are encouraged to apply to the Office of Student Finance and to external agencies for financial aid. The departmental application materials are for both admission and departmental financial support.


New students beginning their graduate programs during fall semester (December 1st deadline) are automatically considered for fellowships which require nomination from the department. These fellowships include Graduate School fellowships and departmental awards which are based on scholastic achievement. Notification of awards will be mailed in March. Spring, summer, and fall (March deadline) applicants will not qualify for fellowships and may be disadvantaged in the way of TA/RA opportunities.

Financial aid, scholarships, and employment

All institutional financial aid packages are handled through the campus financial aid office. Types of assistance include Federal Direct Loans, Federal Perkins Loans, PLUS Loans, SELF Loans, and University loans. Also, work study money and limited scholarship money may be awarded based on need. If you are interested in any of the above, it is recommended that you contact the One-Stop Student Services immediately. For links to financial aid, scholarships and employment at the University of Minnesota and in the College of Education and Human Development, go to Tuition, Aid and Funding.

Graduate assistantships

If you are a graduate assistant with an appointment of at least 25 percent (10 hours per week), you will receive a tuition remission (based on resident tuition rates) equal to twice the percentage of your appointment in the term of the appointment only. As a graduate assistant you may qualify for enrollment in the Graduate Assistant Health Insurance Plan. Plan design and premiums are subject to change from year to year.

While an assistantship may cover a percentage of Graduate School resident tuition and provide a waiver of the non-resident tuition for appointments 25% or more, it will not cover student fees. All students enrolled in six or more credits at the University of Minnesota are responsible for paying student services fees (Tuition, Aid and Funding), college technology fee and any course or laboratory fees as required by specific courses. Please take these costs into account when projecting your personal academic budget.

Non-native English speakers:University policy requires that nonnative English speaking Teaching Assistants (TAs) must demonstrate proficiency in spoken English appropriate to the demands of their teaching assistantship. To meet the policy requirements, you must have an English Language Proficiency (ELP) Rating. This proficiency will be assessed by the ibTOEFL (speaking subscore), the Spoken English Test for Teaching Assistants (SETTA) or an English Language Proficiency rating earned through coursework with the Center for Teaching and Learning Services.

Learn more about PsyF/QME assistantships

Student travel funding

  • Department student travel funding
  • Graduate Assistantships in other Departments

    We also encourage you to seek out research or teaching assistant positions in other departments in the college or at the University level. The College of Education and Human Development Web site is a good source of information about departments and contacts in the College. In addition to information about the six academic departments in the College, the Web site lists information about more than 20 nationally designated research and service centers housed within the College (for example, some PsyF/QME students have held appointments in the Center for Applied Research and Educational Improvement—CAREI). Various programs in epidemiology and the School of Public Health at the University also hire a number of research assistants, including some students from our department. Those of you who live outside the Twin Cities area should consider writing to these places (include a resume). The Graduate Assistant Office Web site posts assistantships for University departments and should be checked frequently. The Student Employment Office also lists many opportunities for on-campus employment. Students from outside the Twin Cities area who will be seeking assistantships are encouraged to arrive as early as possible.

    Please weigh your alternatives if you currently live in the Twin Cities area and hold a position of employment that allows flexibility for school attendance and coursework before giving it up in favor of on-campus employment. With our limited resources and absence of placement services within the department, students should take initiative and be proactive in seeking graduate assistant positions. Your adviser can serve as a reference when you apply for assistantships and may be a good resource for available positions.

    Graduate program support for students of culturally diverse backgrounds

    Common Ground Consortium (CGC) supports advanced graduate work in education by students of culturally diverse backgrounds who are graduates of several Historically Black Colleges and Universities.


    Office for Diversity in Graduate Education (ODGE)

    Additional resources