College of Education and Human Development

Family Social Science

Resources for Current Students

Belong in Family Social Science

It is our goal to provide a welcoming and inclusive environment that supports your academic and personal success. If you are unable to find the resource or information you need, please contact us at


Curious about what you can do with a Family Social Science undergraduate or graduate degree? Check out "What can you do with a degree in Family Social Science" that lists career paths, or visit "Family Social Science Faces" to read alumni stories.

Undergraduate academic advising

We are here to help you navigate academic requirements and explore professional aspirations.

Margaret Kelly, director of undergraduate studies, and Kirsten Collins, senior undergraduate advisor,, can help you progress towards your degree.


If you are a current or prospective MA, MA/PhD and PhD student, the online Family Social Science Graduate Handbook is your guide to your graduate education.

If you are a current or prospective Parent and Family Education Program student, the Parent and Family Education Program Manual holds important information about licensure, online coursework, tuition and financial aid, and more.

To register for courses, visit the University's One Stop.

Learn how FSOS can support financing your graduate education on our Department assistantships, fellowships, and travel funds page. You will also find directions and links to college and university funding opportunities there.

FSOS graduate handbooks and program manuals from past years are linked at the Forms & Handbooks page.

Have questions?

Contact us at

More undergraduate student resources

Declare a major in FSOS

If you are a current undergraduate and are interested in declaring a major in Family Social Science, please contact CEHD Student Services.

View all program requirements in the University catalog or download a PDF of them. To register for courses, visit the University's One Stop.

The Forms & Handbooks page has the contract for independent study and FSOS minor application forms and directions.

Declare a minor in FSOS

Undergraduate minor applications are available on the forms page. Please include the courses you have completed, courses in progress, and planned courses on this form. Courses do not need to be completed prior to submitting it. Email your completed form to Kirsten Collins, senior undergraduate advisor, at

Research and scholarship opportunities

The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) is designed to give undergraduate students and faculty members the opportunity to collaborate on research, scholarly, or creative activities by offering financial awards (up to $1,400) twice yearly to full-time undergraduates. UROP applications are judged on both the quality of the proposed project and the educational benefit to the student; awards are not based on financial need.

CEHD also maintains a listing of scholarships and awards for students, and the Department also awards academic scholarships annually.

Study abroad

The Learning Abroad Center has hundreds of programs across the globe that can enhance your undergraduate experience. FSOS undergraduates are encouraged to incorporate study abroad into their academic careers; you can still graduate in four years as long as you plan ahead! The Learning Abroad Center has a website specifically for Family Social Science undergraduates to help you plan.

FSOS Student Organization

The Family Social Science undergraduate student organization is currently on hiatus, however if you are interested in helping to create community within the Department, please reach out to Kirsten Collins, senior undergraduate advisor at .