Ph.D., Marriage and Family Therapy, University of Minnesota
M.S., Marriage and Family Therapy, Kansas State University
B.S., Family Social Science, University of Minnesota
Areas of Interest
Medical Family Therapy
Families and Chronic Illness
Trauma and Fieldwork
Citizen Health Care
Community-based Participatory Research
I am accepting new advisees for fall 2020 in the M.A., Ph.D., and M.A./Ph.D. programs.
Research & Discovery
As a principal investigator (PI), Tai has secured funding for four major projects to-date:
1) The Family Education Diabetes Series (FEDS)
3) Community-based Participatory Research to Decrease Smoking Prevalence in a High Risk Young Adult Population: A Collaboration between Job Corps and Family Medicine
4) Hmong Women United Against Depression (HWUAD) and Sisters Helping Sisters (SHS)
Mendenhall is featured in the Military Families Learning Network national webinar "Health is a Family Affair."
Teaching & Learning
FSoS 1101: Intimate Relationships
FSoS 3431: Counseling Skills Practicum II
FSoS 8013: Qualitative Family Research Methods
FSoS 8047: Integrative Research Seminar
FSoS 8295: Couple/Marriage & Family Therapy Practicum
Supervisor, Undergraduate Clinical Internship: Family Social Science
Supervisor, Doctoral MFT/MedFT Clinical Placement: Family Social Science
Co-Coordinator of Behavioral Medicine Education, St. John’s Family Practice Residency
Honors & Awards
Ramsey County Public Health Award (University of Minnesota + Interfaith Action of Greater Saint Paul / Department of Indian Work); 2017
Wingspread Award; Collaborative Family Healthcare Association (CFHA); 2016
Excellence in Academic Advising and Mentoring Award; University of Minnesota; College of Education and Human Development; 2016
Community Outreach and Engagement Faculty Award; University of Minnesota; College of Education and Human Development; 2015
Robert H. Beck Faculty Teaching Award; University of Minnesota; College of Education and Human Development; 2010
Rising Star Award; University of Minnesota; College of Human Ecology; 2005
Best Behavioral Medicine Presentation regarding Innovative Strategies of Providing Care to Over-serviced/Under-served Patients; University of Minnesota Medical School; Department of Family Medicine and Community Health; 2004
Recognition of Excellence in Clinical Work and Patient Relations; Wake Forest University School of Medicine; Department of Psychiatry; 2003
Recognition of Excellence in Teaching; Ramsey Family Physicians Clinic; Department of Family & Community Medicine; 2002
See CV for complete list
1. Mendenhall, T., Lamson, A., Hodgson, J., & Baird, M. (Eds.) (in press). Clinical Methods in Medical Family Therapy. New York, NY: Springer.
2. Mendenhall, T., Doherty, W., Littlewalker, E., & Berge, J. (in press). Medical family therapy in community engagement. In T. Mendenhall, A. Lamson, J. Hodgson, and M. Baird (Eds.), Clinical methods in medical family therapy. New York, NY: Springer.
3. Mendenhall, T., Bundt, J., & Yumbul, C.* (in press). Medical family therapy in disaster-preparedness and trauma-response teams. In T. Mendenhall, A. Lamson, J. Hodgson, and M. Baird (Eds.), Clinical methods in medical family therapy. New York, NY: Springer.
4. Kassekert, R., & Mendenhall, T. (in press). Medical family therapy in emergency medicine. In T. Mendenhall, A. Lamson, J. Hodgson, and M. Baird (Eds.), Clinical methods in medical family therapy. New York, NY: Springer.
5. Trump, L.*, & Mendenhall, T. (2017). Community health workers in diabetes care: A systemic review of randomized controlled trials. Families, Systems, & Health, 35, 320-340.
6. Mendenhall, T., Plowman, E., & Trump, L. (Eds.) (2016). Intimate Relationships: Where have we been? Where are we going? (2nd edition). Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
7. Mendenhall, T., Gagner, N., & Hunt, Q. (2015). A call to engage youth in health research. Families, Systems, & Health, 33, 410-412.
8. Garcia-Huidobro, D., & Mendenhall, T. (2015). Family oriented care: Opportunities for health promotion and disease prevention. Journal of Family Medicine and Disease Prevention, 1(2), 1-6.
9. Hodgson, J., Lamson, A., Mendenhall, T., & Crane, R. (Eds.) (2014). Medical Family Therapy: Advanced Applications. New York: Springer.
10. Mendenhall, T., & Ballard, J. (2014). Including the family in research evaluating integrated care: A call for expanding investigators' scope beyond single-person measures. Families, Systems, & Health, 32, 291–302.